Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roleplaying and maps

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

I play with a VTT (Virtual Tabletop) and those communities are pretty alive and kicking. My group is made up of guildies from my old SW:TOR guild, where we played Star Wars Saga Edition for 3 years as a build up to SW:TOR (basically started playing when SW:TOR was announced). That campaign finished, we didn't play SW:TOR for long, but some of the Tabletop guys stayed together. I know run 2 campaigns myself, a D&D 4e and a Savage Worlds post-apoc themed game (alternating every couple of weeks) and design the maps myself. I'm also a player in a Star Wars Edge of the Empire game that happens every week or so, and we're gearing up to start a WW2 game (myself as a player again) in the new year.

So yeh, people still want maps.

Guild Applicant

I would like to add that I have seen similar issues with younger gamers in America. Although with the rise of more choice oriented RPG's like Fable and Mass Effect it is becoming easier for them to make a choice when faced with one. (i.e. prompted by the game to pick paths based on character interactions and such) But that leaves them still unable to generate a background for the character since one is typically given in those games.

Myself and a friend would play Skyrim and we found it much more enjoyable to have a strict background that limited the characters development in some way. Almost like enforcing D&D rules onto the Skyrim characters.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    I have been running games for a very long time. We try to get at least 25 to 30 new players a year in a Table Top RPG. This past 4 January 2014 we had an event at a Game Day in Maryland. I spent the money (0nly $60.00) to have printed a 34 inch by 44 inch map at a printer. The map a lone attracted 25 people to look at it. We have 5 new players thanks to the map.

Tracker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12