I've been using this world in my AD&D, 3.5, and Pathfinder games for about 20 years. It has pretty much only existed on paper, but I recently decided to move it into the digital world and give it a facelift at the same time. First off, I wanted it to be a bit more realistic than the one I created in high school, but still maintain the features and distances I used in previous campaigns.
Step 1. I drew the known world (on 8.5 x 11) paper, then added the rest of the world in a manner that fit my campaign needs.
Step 2. I scanned the map using my phone.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	436.6 KB 
ID:	58397
Step 3. This was kinda backwards but, the next thing I did was draw tectonic plates. If I was drawing a new world, I'd have started with plates. Anyway, I used the Procreate app to draw my plates on a different layer than the main scanned image.
Step 4. Next I drew convergent, divergent and transverse plate boundaries on yet another layer.

Views:	734 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	58398
Step 5. I drew ocean currents on yet another layer. I probably should have split warm and cold currents into different layers to save me some heartburn, but hey.

Views:	332 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	58399
Step 6. I drew global wind patterns. Winter and summer winds on different sheets. Pink are summer and blue are winter.

Views:	182 
Size:	572.2 KB 
ID:	58400

The next step will be to finish sketching out the world on Fractal Terrains. I'll post an image of that when I get a rough sketch completed. After that, I'll look at modifying my existing climates and terrains.