Thread: Complete newbie who is artistically challenged.

Default Complete newbie who is artistically challenged.

Hello all.

As someone who can't even tell if two colours go well together I consider you all magicians and if one day I create something decent enough to post here I'll be amazed. That being said I do like a challenge and I need to create maps for my games rather than just changing the game to suit the map every time!

So would CC3+DD3 be the best bet for someone making maps for RPGs (to use via Fantasy Grounds) and ultimately lacking in any artistic ability?

Anyway, you're all amazing and I hate you all for your talent!

Welcome to the guild Our magic can be learned I assure you! It just takes practice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Hi, there is a complete list of softwares here : http://www.cartographersguild.com/so...-software.html

I don't really draw but I use photoshop and Illustrator because it allow for more freedom and you can find symbols/brushes too.
    Each tool is different and provide advantages and limits. A good article by one of the guild member about that : The Cartographer's Table - Which Mapping Software is Best for You?

Welcome to the Guild Koreapsu! Well some people love CC3 and related products, but there is definitely a learning curve. If you are already familiar with CAD then that will certainly help. If not however I would suggest looking at some of the tutorials on offer here. The two most widely used graphic programs here are Photoshop and GIMP, the latter of which is free. Both are well supported in the tutorials section. They each come with learning curves but the tutorials here can greatly help with that.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh