Thread: Howdy, Guild :)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Default Howdy, Guild :)

Hi everyone

Long time lurker here

I'm Kai, 33 years old (and still counting ..) and - as you may guess from my nick - I'm from Germany.
    Since my earlies days I've always been fascinated by maps: The most valued of all my schoolbooks has been my World Atlas. My parents had to buy this one, not understanding how I could show next to no interest in history books or stuff like this
    Nah - this Atlas was my one and only for many years and I could spend hours going through it, just looking at the maps..
    (I should have become a professional cartographer .. well .. too late )

Growing older, my brother introduced me to RPGs (D&D 1st Edition, any1?) and thus I began to draw my own maps .. Dungeons to begin with, open world maps on hex grids following ..

This love for gaming never died; in fact, nowadays one of my hobbies is boardgamedesign - where I sometimes need to draw some kinds of maps, too: e.g. for my current design "Flicking Fairways" (a golf themed game using flicking discs as core mechanic) I'd like to create modular holes by designing cards that are laid out to represent a hole along with obstacles.
    Another project (that is just getting slightly out of hand by generating more ideas than I have time to write down into a rulebook or even to playtest) is "Whack & Slaughter" - a skirmish game combining fast and deadly combat (à la Diablo), character creation (à la all those RPGs out there) and pitting skill versus skill (à la Guild Wars). For this project I'm currently trying to design a world map using this turial as help:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...-new-post.html

This tutorial as well as all the high quality maps you can find here are completely awesome!
    I always enjoy returning here and just watching the outstanding artwork presented here!
    Hopefully, one day I will be able to create something even remotely as cool as you guys do .. (Yes, I know: practice, practice, practice )

Keep up the awesomeness!

Kind regards,
    Kai

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hi Kai, you are the one running the 24h Gamedesign competition right? I realy would love to try that!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Yep, that's me

I'd love to see what you come up with, especially since your artwork (e.g. the Farlander redesign) never fails to impress
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free Print and Play games

Well here's officially welcoming you to the Guild schattentanz!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh