Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Rivers?

Here is what I have so far, compared to the old one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheRiverlands.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	742.8 KB 
ID:	58482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	416.4 KB 
ID:	58481

Quote Originally Posted by RonnyRulz View Post
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I grateful appreciate the constructive criticism and honesty! I am glad to know I am not the only one who think my rivers suck, lol.

Wow, your much darker river looks infinitely better and more cohesive for my map!

How did you achieve this? What drawing tool did you use, if you used an art program?

I might just try and create my own rivers and ignore the CC3 rivers.

Seeing this, I am going to first try to switch over to the darker water texture for my rivers. Reserve the brighter area for the ocean, possibly. Then replace the white border with a black one.
    I will see if that looks any better.

I don't have a problem redrawing them to look more realistic and less uniform. I am thrilled that you all have helped me so much. And thank you so so so much Neyjour, for the example. Seeing that, makes me understand how well you know what you're talking about, and how advanced you on on the matter.
    You're welcome! I'm glad you found that helpful.

In Paint Shop Pro 8 I used the Freehand Selection tool to draw the shape of the river. I then modified the selection with an Inside Feather of 2, and then deleted it. Then I duplicated the layer and applied a small black drop shadow (Opacity 100 / Blur 4.00) to the one underneath. The water texture went on a separate layer underneath both of those, and I just did some quick adjustments with Colorize and Curves to get the colour/darkness that I wanted.

Your latest version is looking tons better!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    You're welcome! I'm glad you found that helpful.

In Paint Shop Pro 8 I used the Freehand Selection tool to draw the shape of the river. I then modified the selection with an Inside Feather of 2, and then deleted it. Then I duplicated the layer and applied a small black drop shadow (Opacity 100 / Blur 4.00) to the one underneath. The water texture went on a separate layer underneath both of those, and I just did some quick adjustments with Colorize and Curves to get the colour/darkness that I wanted.

Your latest version is looking tons better!
    Awesome

I'll leave it alone then, at least for now. Spent all day yesterday on it, lol.
    I'll resubmit the new rivers over at my WIP thread.

And here is my attempt at following all of the advice in the thread, from the color and effects, to the drawing of the rivers being more natural.

Tell me if it still needs to be improved significantly.

Name:	NaturalRivers.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	747.9 KB 
ID:	58500

It looks much better

That looks soooo much better! Love the new shape of your rivers too...much better than my quick example, which were a bit too irregular I think. Try a few various shades darker than what you have now and see which one you prefer. I personally think a darker blue might look better on this map.

I tried redrawing the rivers to be more isometric, to fit with the rest of the symbols, as someone suggested in this thread.

What do you think, compared to the older version?

Name:	isorier.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	580.3 KB 
ID:	58845

Here is what it would look like with a darker blue

Name:	darker iso.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	58846

That's really looking nice! I love the perspective, and the color of the rivers sits very nicely in the image. Keep at it; I want to see the entire map done up like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
    That's really looking nice! I love the perspective, and the color of the rivers sits very nicely in the image. Keep at it; I want to see the entire map done up like this.
    So you think the darker river looks significantly better than the lighter one?

I feel it's a little too dark, but I also probably lost perspective on what it looks like since I spend to long on it, staring at it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast