Thread: First Map Attempt

Guild Novice

Wip First Map Attempt

Hello all! This is a look at my first map attempt. I started it a while back, following Ascension's Atlas style, and worked on it extensively. Took a roundabout turn with family health issues, and just now getting back into the groove of things. I know it's not great, but I feel very proud of it being my first map. It was made using Photoshop CS5, and borrowed techniques and ideas from many others. I am posting this as a WIP, in the event someone has some constructive criticism.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, they are more than welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldMap.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	739.6 KB 
ID:	58441

Nice work Amisirahc! I appreciate your sub water surface detail though it's a pity it only extends to close to the shelf. Sometimes you want shallow waters with no islands.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Turned out great! I have never done a digital map before, and I must say for a first map (or any number after that!) it is an excellent result. Your attention to the textures, shading and blending is awesome. What else do you have in store? As you said, it is a WIP, so are you going to put anything in the northern part of the ocean? To me, that is the only part that looks a little lacking. A heading and compass rose would fit nicely in there.. Keep up the good work!

JSP
    "Not all those who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- My blog
    -Last Apocalypse Forge-

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Nice work Amisirahc! I appreciate your sub water surface detail though it's a pity it only extends to close to the shelf. Sometimes you want shallow waters with no islands.
    Thanks Viking! I really appreciate the feedback. I might try to make some submerged landmasses in the future, but since this map was made a bit before I understood what destructive construction was, it may not turn out the greatest. I'll give it a shot though

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by JSP View Post
    Turned out great! I have never done a digital map before, and I must say for a first map (or any number after that!) it is an excellent result. Your attention to the textures, shading and blending is awesome. What else do you have in store? As you said, it is a WIP, so are you going to put anything in the northern part of the ocean? To me, that is the only part that looks a little lacking. A heading and compass rose would fit nicely in there.. Keep up the good work!

JSP
    Thanks JSP! Your feedback will be most helpful. I was thinking about putting in a compass rose, though I haven't really figured out how to make a nice one yet . I also plan on adding labels to the oceans to take up that extra space, and possibly contour some of the other texts to fit on the continent nicer.

Guild Novice

Here's the newest revision. Decided to stick with adding a compass rose for now to take up the sea space a bit (which took me a few minutes to figure out how to do in Photoshop... I feel dumb now LOL). Be gentle, as it's also my first compass rose

Name:	WorldMapWithRose.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	753.2 KB 
ID:	58529

Guild Novice

Now with curves! My goal is to learn something new every day, and today I've learned how to make curvy text in PS.

Name:	WorldMapWithCurves.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	763.7 KB 
ID:	58805