Thread: Amateur mapmaker seeks fictional geography

Post Amateur mapmaker seeks fictional geography

Hi folks. Don't mind me, I'm just here for the Cooperative World-Building Project

Wow, I'm so amazed that this forum exists! How exciting!

So this is me: I've always loved maps, but I never really got into making them until I majored in geology, because I didn't know how. Coincidentally this was the same point at which I got into RPGs. Now that I've graduated I'm desperately looking for an outlet for my map-making impulses. I'd DM a game with a homebrew world, but I'm crap at plot. The best I've managed so far is a semi-detailed coastal map of the north and south poles of Eberron (Frostfell and Everice), since I got disgusted with the maps available for those while participating in an airship-travel- and geopolitics-heavy Eberron campaign.

I have no expertise with any of the nifty software tools you-all use, but I'm pretty good at the hand-drawn. Is this place only after computer-generated maps, or could I contribute using more old-fashioned stuff?

Also: Pleased to meet you all.

Welcome aboard.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome to the Guild, Ocotpod, I'd say you can contribute using any old thing you use,,,,
    I, and the FHCO's, use Sketchup and Open Office (for stories) mostly, and a little Photoshop, Gimp, PD Particles,,and what ever else strikes their fancy, (spore creature creator is screaming to find its way into Snapgallows).
    So those aren't all in the box of the traditional tools the talented Cartographers here normally use.
    appear in a map soon.

Looking forward to seeing some of that geologyknology appear in the CWBP soon, the Tawaren Basin has mines and such.

SeerBlue and the FHCO's
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

pretty good at the hand-drawn. Is this place only after computer-generated maps
    Pencil and paper are FINE. I wish my skills with them were greater. You will need a scanner or digital camera to share your hand maps here, though.

Welcome!

Thanks all...

I actually had some questions about protocol and conventions on the CWBP. Where should I ask them?

Post in the CWBP forums of course

I'd say the best place to post a question is in the Collaborative World Buidling Project Forums - start a new thread and ask your question there.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by octopod View Post
    I have no expertise with any of the nifty software tools you-all use, but I'm pretty good at the hand-drawn. Is this place only after computer-generated maps, or could I contribute using more old-fashioned stuff?
    A few folks around here still believe above all else in ink, graphite, watercolor and perhaps a sliver or two of acetate as the best tools for making maps (especially fantasy maps) Virtually all of my maps are hand-drawn to begin with; I just use the software to tweak.

So yeah, hop on in; the water's fine (and quite varied) ...

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia