Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: {WIP} Map of Edo Period Japan for Vagabonds

This looks fantastic! Very much looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Oh we are soon finishing the Map!

This is beautiful, keep it up!

Yes, only Labels left which will be done by Maiko. She called my affords to paint japanese Letters "cute"... Haha I hope it wasnt so horrorble
    This project grows with its amazing Team and new possibilities may comeup to map even more of this Setting. The map itself was a great challenge booth artistically and accuracity to its original source. Painting Fantasy Maps are often very low restricting, but to create a convincing period map is a whole new level, if you don't just copy outlines from realworld Data but adapt old material and reinvoce its beouty and feel.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Working with SK has been quite fluid for us. He is definitely right when he says there is more cartography to be done in the Vagabonds setting. I am greatly looking forward to future creations!

And, SK, I like that you brought up the real world data issue. We did not just take the old map, translate the Japanese, and label it as such. We actually went in and pinpointed locations, cross-referenced with other maps, laid out the roads, rivers, and major geographic areas accordingly, and included a variety of places not even mentioned on that map, but nonetheless important / period-specific. Given the sketchiness of that map to begin with, we moved around a lot of things, and made locations more specific (for example, sometimes on these old maps, location names are put down in the middle of the province, even though that location is actually on the coast). It was a merging of styles, as well as a pooling of data and research -- and our interpretation of it. So, while that map was used as an outline and base, we could actually create an entire list of references for just this map. Modern-day data and satellite imagery was really only used for climate zone reference. If you look at a satellite map of Japan today, you see a Japan quite different from that of 300-400 years ago -- Tokyo has leveled a lot of the surrounding terrain, rivers have been dammed and rerouted, etc.

SK: Maiko says that whenever I try to write Japanese, and I've been practicing for a while. I imagine our writing looks like a child's to her.

She is exceptionally fast at doing the beautiful brushwork for the labels. I'll get a shot of her at work this evening. What is taking a while is formatting them so that they do not cover up SK's beautiful artwork. I imagine the 3 metropolises and the cities will have the "boxed" text, akin to maps from the time period, whereas smaller locales will not be boxed in. We are still tinkering, but it's coming along. To be clear: the map will be in English, with the exception of Edo, Kyoto, and Osaka, which will be in Japanese kanji (though the English in small text nearby).

I just realized I never posted a shot of the finished handmade paper, with it's beautiful laid lines. Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washi-laid-lines.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	59545

I can't express my appreciation of the community here enough, for providing an outlet for someone like me to find a cartographer such as SK, as well as providing valuable and supportive community feedback. A toast to the guild.

This is such an awesome project! I've really enjoyed following the progress, and the map itself is just beautiful! Very unique style too, which I love. Can't wait to see the final version with all the labels!

I'm a big fan of Japanese culture, and I especially love watching doramas set in the Edo period, so this was particularly fascinating for me!

The final Project will interest you for sure. When Nick and the Team get everything in a final version, I promise to send you a note so you will not miss out the Result.

That would be great, thanks!

Here's a little glimpse of what I'm trying to do:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icons-labels-new.png 
Views:	318 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	59617

Still a lot to be done, but you can get a look at Maiko's calligraphy. I think I'm going to go with this style, where the larger/more important locales do not have icons, but are represented purely by their boxed calligraphy. Meanwhile, minor locations will remain without "boxes". I think I also need to work on the boxes to make them look a little less computerized.

rlly nice look map, i'am tring to do a map like your's guys, if you can i need some help and hint about your style, if you can pm i would be gratefully!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast