Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gilband - New WIP

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Oh, right, sorry! All good then

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

So, despite my new project, I keep on working on this. It's mostly quite subconsciously detailing the background whilst I let my mind wander. Gives me inspiration for refined techniques, sometimes.

I tried some different ways to do mountians again, but I'm not too satisfied. Might just be I had the best thing going already. Nonetheless I left the three tryouts in the map, so you guys can turn them to shreds!

Here we go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gilband-Basetest.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	59269

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I like all those mountains. You could probably use all styles together, they look quite coherent (except for the lines on the ridges of the the top two).

For consistency's sake I redid the main mountain ranges in the middle. Going to add some more mountains in the south in this same (then hopefully more refined) style. It's a little easier to do mountains this way. Also did more background work to the east and southeast. Lots of work, but fun...

Name:	Gilband-Basetest-2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	59400

Did a lot of tweaking, re-doing mountains, re-doing areas, etching out details, adding small things etc. It's subtle, but I feel the map slowly progresses to something that'll be consinstent stylewise. Sticking with it helped me a lot with finding and refining that style.

There you go:

Name:	Gilband-Basetest-2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	59483

So i guess it's soon time to think about labels and hoe to do settlements and roads, maybe kingdom borders. I'm not sur if I should stick with my symbol-esque style for settlements. So, any suggestions, anyone?

Thanks for watching and tune in next time!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

This looks very promising. The mountains look really nice and generally, you really have depth in the land. There are some things that could do with some work. First, the land looks very green, even the same shade of green. Playing around with different hues might help distinguish one area from the other. Also, the coastlines are rather jagged and don't really mesh well with the water. The tree symbols look good, except maybe when they get too clumped. Here also, a slight variantion in color might help. Personally, I'd go with the symbol-based labels, something that doesn't clash too much the backdrop.

Any, keep up the good work.

Wow. it's been over two years since I worked on this. In fact, it's been a long time since I worked on anything, for reasons of everyday life and such.

So, I had a half hearted go at fixing my photoshop/tablet problem which was one of the reasons of my long absence and, tadah, it worked! As I was looking through all my files I decided to pick this up again and work off it from an earlier version. Not an awful lot has happened, mostly work on details. Here are the version I started with and then the outcome:

Name:	Gilband-Basetest.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	76898 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gilband-Weiter.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	76899

It's relaxingly intuitiv to work on.

We'll see if I can keep on working on this and also get back to browsing this amazing forum!

Until hopefully soon,
    Llannagh

Since Zombies still seem to be in fashion, I'll revive this old thread:

Name:	Gilband 0.1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	568.3 KB 
ID:	128531

It has been quite some time since I worked on anything map-related. I have been getting my head around painting landscapes (digitally), finding my creative bearings and all the while navigating the life of a grown-up in the 21st century without feeling like a grown-up.

As you can see, I have yet again scrapped the old version and tried to refine it. The coastline has changed a bit, since I took it out of my continental map. Since starting to learn landcape painting, I have come to understand more about shadings, colors, forms and all that. I think that has helped me a lot in the map-making process.
    A hue inspiration for this style is still Viking's "Arinthia"-map out of Skenth. I love the clear lines and forms in his map, though I personally seem to tend to be quite hesitant in making clear, contrasting strokes. I'm still feeling like this might finally be the way to go for, but I also have said that before.

I hope to be around this forum again more in the future!

Stay safe and healthy and most of all: don't forget to look for the beautiful things in life!

Cheers,
    Llannagh

New style looks good, real good. I recognized the Skenth influence right away I can't wait to see where you end up with this.

This looks excellent, I like how the mountains have shaped up far. So don't be afraid of the contrasting strokes, seems to be working for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123