Thread: Wilbur Heightmap to FT3 struggles

Help Wilbur Heightmap to FT3 struggles

Hey folks, I am trying to import a heightmap to FT3 via Wilbur and can't get a thing to work.

First a few notes.

I'm following the instructions from Waldronate here to the letter.

FT3 v 3.0.12
    Wilbur 1.80

I've imported this PNG into Wilbur, followed the steps and saved an MDR using the default: 32bit float.

I then go to FT3, create new binary file, use the MDR and leave all settings the same. What I get is a completely flat world. No altitude whatsoever.

Can anyone lend a hand and help me to understand what I might be doing wrong?
    Last edited by Tocath; 10-17-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Did you put the world coordinate? make sure you don't forget the -
    Did you put the world min max elevation?
    You are not using a 2 color map without shading or transition like me ?

Azelor,

When you create via File >> New >> Binary File, you don't have the option to set min and max elevations (that I can see).

Instead, you see the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	58493

The interesting thing is that if you change the value circled in red to 15 instead of the default 0, the entire world has an altitude of 15 on import. So, there is either something wacky with the MDR or with FT3's import process.

You have to do this in Wilbur prior to importing it to fractal terrain. (altitude and map coordinate)

I'm not sure what's in the circle mean because I don't know how there could be missing data. Don't bother with that.

As mentioned above, I'm following Waldronate's instructions in the link I posted.

So, to your questions, yes. In wilbur, I am using Surface>>Map Info to set World coordinates to to -90, -180, 180, 90. Then I flip. Then I am using Filter>>Mathematical>>Span to set min and max height ranges.

FTR still does not recognize it.

Thoughts? Waldronate, are you out there? Do you have any wisdom to share on this?

Make sure that top is +90 in the MDR and bottom is -90. If there's still a problem, send me a private mail and we'll see if it's a problem with your FT version (3.0.12 is a bit older than my own private version).

Just a data point. I downloaded your PNG and was able to successfully follow the referenced instructions to import into FT3 v3.0.12 using Wilbur 1.77. I then downloaded Wilbur 1.80 and was successful again. Using 64 bit Wilbur both times. Just FYI.