Thread: Would like to create 19th Century style map, I have no idea where to start

Help Would like to create 19th Century style map, I have no idea where to start

Hello,

I would like to create a 19th century style map of Europe using these borders:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgep6E2.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	58507

The problem is, I have no idea where to start. I've tried tracing the borders but this has not worked out as the image isn't really accurate enough.

Could someone provide me with just some advice, point me in the direction of a tutorial, or something else? Thank you.

It's not inaccurate it's ahistorical. You can keep these borders as part of an alternate historic map.

Some inspiration for the map style: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...ive-units.html

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It's not inaccurate it's ahistorical. You can keep these borders as part of an alternate historic map.

Some inspiration for the map style: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...ive-units.html
    Sorry, I don't mean inaccurate in that respect. I mean it is rather pixellated, which means tracing it leads to rather irrational borders unless I make them thick.

But thank you for the inspiration, I'm rather inexperienced so I shall have to have a look around the styles in that map.

This is an EU4 map, isn't? So I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy... Paradoxes map isn't too accurate to start with. In EU4 they used, if I understood it correctly, a kind of Miller cylindrical projection... but changed it where they saw fit.

What you could do...

Find a high-res map of the area you want. Use that map as a basemap to trace the outline of the landmass, islands and rivers. Use it to trace any border that might fit: Portugal for example, or the Swedish-Norwegian border.
    For any borders in the EU4 map that do not correlate with borders on your new basemap: take a single country or area from the EU4 map, try to scale it up to about the right size, wiggle it into about the correct position using noticable landmarks and then use this outline to trace the borders. It doesn't matter if they are not accurate.
    If you think a border is alongside a river, use the rivers on your new basemap to adapt the EU4 map.

Here is a (attempt at a) map of Italy I did on the Crusader Kings 2 TOG start based on that method.

And here you can find a potential basemap to trace. It is done in the style I tried to emulate with the Italy map as well as the Germany map Azelor linked to.

I haven't come around to do a tutorial for this style yet, but I am working on it. I am also willing to answer any questions you might have on it.

Freodin, I think I managed to replicate your style but it's kinda complicated.

1- draw the country landmass (layer 1)
    2- dupplicate the layer (layer 2)
    3- paint it in black
    4- apply a white inner glow setting the size and the thing above about the same size each. Set opacity to 75-100% and reach (first slidebar under quality) to 100%
    5- create a new layer under the layer 2, it's just a dummy layer to pixelize the glow effect (layer 3)
    6- merge layer 2 and 3 (but it's a good idea to keep a copy just in case) (layer 2)
    7- select all of layer 2 and copy it
    8- in chanel, create a new chanel and paste the pixels of layer 2 (call it layer 2)
    9- go back in the layer menu, pick layer 1 and create a layer mask
    10- go back to the chanel menu and select the layer 1 chanel, select copy and paste the cotent of layer 2 chanel in the layer 1 chanel
    11- Create a new layer on to and apply a striped pattern (preferably black and white) , set it to lighten (layer 4)
    or you can also use the option to add a pettern in the layer option
    12- Create a new layer on top, select the country shape and color and add a border toward the interior of the same color. Lower the opacity of the layer if necessary. (layer 5)
    13- and finally add a layer in the bottom that will serve as a background, a pale brown will do

what do you think ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	europe 31 juillet copie.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	553.5 KB 
ID:	58549
    Last edited by Azélor; 10-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Thank you both! This is very helpful. It may take some time but I will post the end result, or something in between if I need help.