Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Mapping. My first few attempts.

Post Photoshop Mapping. My first few attempts.

I was directed here by a few guys at the rptools website after I started making my first map in photoshop.

As I mentioned there, I am colourblind so these maps can come out a bit funny, though there seemed to be no problems with the map I posted over at the forums.

I have since made a few other maps. None of these are actually complete, but they are a series of maps for my campaign. I am hoping for some tips and advice.

I am having difficulties with stairs at the moment. Just cannot seem to make them look right.

Thanks.

(By the way - these rooms are mostly empty as items will be added using Maptools, such as doors and other objects.)

Temple Basement

Level 1

Level 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	almaar-Crypts---Temple-Basement.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	810.9 KB 
ID:	5270  
    Last edited by PillBox; 07-15-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: attached image

Now who would have compelled you to come over here?

FYI, you can actually attach your images to your post to make it a little easier for people to see and navigate. I've taken the liberty of attaching your first image so that you can see how it will look.

Oh, and Welcome to the Guild PillBox! C&C will be coming soon.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Hey Pillbox, Welcome to the Guild!

I like the layout and logic of the levels. The floor checkerboard gives me a headache though. How much cleaning would it take for that to be the floor of a crypt and have it look that neon bright!.

I think the floor colouring is my only crit though. They're good maps and they feel believable.

Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Can't think who might have encouraged you over...

Glad to see you made it

I'd suggest darkening the walls. At the moment they blend into the floor tone a little, and it would be useful to have more of a stark contrast.

As for the rest of it - looks good. I think those stairs are great actually.

Have some rep to get you started .

Thanks guys,

I have been working on a snow map for sometime, and I have changed it many times now. I am probably going to go with this one as I am now needing to put these into play (still need to set them up in maptools).

So, here is my attempt at a snow map. Please let me know what you think.

(I have had trouble with the attachments ... they keep timing out. I guess the maps are too big).

The road to Almaar

Quote Originally Posted by PillBox View Post
    Thanks guys,

I have been working on a snow map for sometime, and I have changed it many times now. I am probably going to go with this one as I am now needing to put these into play (still need to set them up in maptools).

So, here is my attempt at a snow map. Please let me know what you think.

(I have had trouble with the attachments ... they keep timing out. I guess the maps are too big).

The road to Almaar
    That is sweet! Have some rep... I hope you don't mind, but I would like to grab this for use in MT if your ok with that.

As for the upload, that happens when the image pixel size (no matter wht the file size is) goes over some limit, though I am not sure what that limit is. the problem is that the forum is trying to make a thumbnail and barfs on it. Arcana is aware and looking into the issue....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    That is sweet! Have some rep... I hope you don't mind, but I would like to grab this for use in MT if your ok with that.
    Sure, you can use it. Thanks for the rep

You should not have to adjust the grid at all, as it fits straight into MT.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's very clean. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    As for the upload, that happens when the image pixel size (no matter wht the file size is) goes over some limit, though I am not sure what that limit is. the problem is that the forum is trying to make a thumbnail and barfs on it. Arcana is aware and looking into the issue....

Joe
    I believe it is 35 MB.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast