Thread: Will you help me surprise my husband? - urban map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Will you help me surprise my husband? - urban map

My husband and I have the idea of plastering a room with maps of places that don't exist. Sadly, this scope of what I'm commissioning today is not that large. I would love, however, to make a small start on that dream of ours. We have a nearly two-year-old son and a newborn daughter. Our toddler is just starting to make lots of artwork, and he loves to give away his art. I would love to encourage this by making a special spot for his art for Daddy. I'm thinking of a magnetic board, and would love to give it a novel look by making it beginning of our imaginary maps project.

My plan is to take a cookie sheet, paint the edges with some spray paint to make it look rusty or somewhat beaten up, then decoupage a map to the inside. When hung from the wall near my husband's workspace, it will look amazing!

What I'm Looking for in a Map:

Subject and Style:
    I am very open to what the map includes. I'll include some links to maps I *adore* the looks of, but I am looking forward to a lot of artistic license here. I love the look of old maps. I understand urban maps can be more difficult, so I will say that I am looking for something very simple, especially considering it will sometimes be covered by toddler artwork. I would prefer strong black lines to anything colored. I would love it if a few of the streets or landmarks are labeled, and I can/will provide labels if you would prefer.

Oh, I'm also very willing to just use an image of a map you've created that fits what I need! If that is the case, I'd just need your permission (in an email or something, nothing formal) so that we both know I've not stolen anything.

Most of the way down this page is a post by "falseface" that makes me want to drool. It's beautiful! If you can make something like this, I will be your friend. Also, I will commission you to make this project. (Also, I will keep you in mind for when we begin to decorate our imaginary map room!)

I also like the map at the bottom of this thread, and this map also makes me happy.

Size and Quality:
    I need to be able to have this printed out. The size will depend on which cookie sheet I choose, but I should be able to get that size to you ASAP (within a week or two, let's say, maybe sooner.) I want it to look nice and crisp when printed. I'll probably have it printed at Office Max or someplace like that.

Time, Money, and Other Considerations:
    I would *love* to have this by the beginning of December, to use as a Christmas present. However, if that doesn't work, his birthday is in mid-January, so early January would give me time to get the product finished by then.

I am on a super-tight budget this holiday season. I could only afford a token payment, which can be discussed in email. I understand that urban maps are harder, so I am trying to make up for that by being very open to what the map ultimately looks like. As I said, I'm willing to use a previously finished map, so long as I have reproduction rights. It's for a personal gift, so I won't make any money off of this.

I am perfectly happy with you retaining copyright and using this for any other project.

Email:

Please email me at amanda dot roby at gmail dot com, replacing dot with . and at with @. Thanks in advance!

Amanda

Interesting project. Any takers yet? Just curious what type of "general" response your getting from this site. I just registered and have a project I am interested in getting done as well but am unsure how many people are active here.

I had two responses within 24 hours. I'm in the process of responding to them both. Both responses were very courteous and professional; overall I'm impressed! Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Good luck with yours as well.