Thread: *** October/November 2013 Lite Challenge: The Waste Land ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** October/November 2013 Lite Challenge: The Waste Land ***

"The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was white and blinding and waterless and without feature save for the faint, cloudy haze of the mountains which sketched themselves on the horizon and the devil-grass which brought sweet dreams, nightmares, death."

-Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Deserts, wastelands, badlands. They've featured prominently in stories of all genres for... well, as long as there have been stories. There's something about a stretch of barren, lifeless land that just makes a person pause.

Your mission this month is to create a map that has something to do with deserts. It could be an Old West frontier town in the Arizona wastelands; it could be a Dark Sun-esque dried up sea, riddled with long-dead ruins; it could be a map showing a coastline dotted with emirates and city-states reminiscent of North Africa; it could be an inland desert with a Silk Road cutting through it. Maybe a map showing an Underdark that lies under that desert? Maybe an entire desert world, like Dune? The choice is up to you.

The winner will be awarded a tarnished, dented, wind and sand-scraped Silver Compass. (Because it's been lying around in the desert, get it, get it? )

The contest will run until on or around November 14th, after which there will be a four-day voting period.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me, or post 'em in this thread.

***IMPORTANT***

All entry thread titles should read: October/November Lite Challenge: <your title here>

All WIP images MUST be proceeded by the tag ### Latest WIP ### or the image will not show up in the thumb scraper and will not be viewable at voting time. Note that the tag formatting must look exactly like what I've posted; no asterisks in place of the hashtags, a single space in between each set of hashtags and 'Latest WIP'.
    Last edited by Diamond; 10-20-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    ***IMPORTANT***

All entry thread titles should read: September/October Lite Challenge: <your title here>
    Not "October/November Lite Challenge"?
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

I like this one. I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Mackay View Post
    Not "October/November Lite Challenge"?
    D'oh!!! I pulled an arsheesh.

If those descriptions aren't enough to spark your interest, remember much of Greenland and Antarctica are deserts :-).

Remembering that ultimate determination of whether your map meets the specs is up to the voters, I'll also recall that most of the middle of the USA between the Mississippi and the Rockies was referred to a couple of hundred years ago as the Great American Desert. Not that I would EvEr encourage pushing of boundaries, noooo, not meeee.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

I'm in I'm in I'm iiiiinnnnnnn

*bounces off excitedly*

I think, I'll stick with "pushing the boundaries" here and take the term "desert" literally
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free Print and Play games

Hey all, just a note to let you know this challenge will be ending this Thursday night, probably around 9 or 10PM Pacific time.