Thread: Metal Lens Frame Made in GIMP

Default Metal Lens Frame Made in GIMP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring Frame.png 
Views:	2981 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	58564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Demon in Fire - Ring Frame.png 
Views:	947 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	58565 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starfall - Ring Frame.png 
Views:	704 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	58567

I made this lens-frame-thing in GIMP for future use both as a frame for pictures and potentially as part of maps. I started by making the ring in Inkscape and shading it 50% gray in GIMP. Then I selected the ring and created a new layer filled with Solid Noise (Detail 1; X, Y=3.0, randomized until I saw something nice) and set the blend mode to Overlay. I then made another layer with the ring still selected and filled it with a metal texture I found and set the blend mode to Overlay. Then I did some grungework with a few shades of orangy-reddish color for the rust. Then I merged all the layers together to have a metallic ring for a frame.

I then selected the round bit in the middle of the ring, made a new layer below the frame layer, and filled it with Solid Noise (Detail 1; X, Y=3.0, randomized until I saw something nice). I set the blend mode to Hard Light and Opacity to 50%. Lastly, I used Lighting Effects and made a directional light shining from the upper left side. That seemed to give me a nice glassy look.

Next up, I duplicated the frame layer and set the upper layer to Soft Light. I then applied a bevel to both frame layers, added the same directional light as the lens got, and created a drop shadow for both (each with zero offset, blur radius to 32, color to black, and opacity to 100%).

I found I had to go back and darken some bits of the bevel to remove some oddly-placed lighting, but otherwise, this was it for the frame. The image in goes on its own layer at the very bottom of the mess described above.

I'd love some feedback on this. I'm really not very familiar with graphics software, so any comments or criticism is certainly welcomed! And feel free to use the frame if you want.
    Last edited by Humabout; 10-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Very Cool!

I like the ring itself, so with a little modification and then placing it on top of some boards I made some tables with a metal edge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metal - Wood-Table_bg.png 
Views:	488 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	58612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metal - Wood-Table2_bg.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	58613
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-23-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Cool but the rusted part look too clean I think. Maybe more orange/brown ?

Hmm...I'll tinker with it a little. It might just need a little dinginess in grayish-blackish form. I'll post any decent results I get.