Thread: New Member - Fantasy Author

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default New Member - Fantasy Author

Hi all,

I was referred here by a fellow writer named Matilda Leland.

I'm a fantasy author with three publishing credits to my name. I have an Amazon Author page. It's only two short stories and an interview with Geroge R.R. Martin, but i'm proud of 'em. And I have other short stories in the works.

I've been working very hard on a fantasy book series, one which I think will span to four books. I'm on Book 3 now, but the other two are in their first/second draft phase (ie. not ready to present to an agent). I have accumulated a few regular readers outside of my friends.

Every single reader asks me, at some point, if I have a map for my fictional fantasy world.

I do not. Not for lack of trying. Frankly, I'm terrible at it. All my artistic talents landed squarely in the storyteller/writer category.

So, I'm hoping to contact someone here on this site to make a computer-generated map for me. I read the guidelines on requesting this and I am eager to find someone who'd be willing to take this on. I, of course, am willing to pay for their services. It'd be absurdly selfish not to. But, I need to know the going rate, so I know whether I can afford it.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hi Michael, welcome to the Guild. I am sure you will find some people here to create your Maps. About Rates for the Maps, I belief there are a lot of different opinions and offers from Guild Cartographers if you write a Request. Ask the People, who will send you their portfolios directly what service they offer and compare for yourself to decide on a mapper. I think thats the best way to get real numbers and an overview.
    The topic of Rates have been discussed sometimes but mostly with the result that its up to the Requester to choose what he/she wants.

Guild Novice

Hi Michael, I have just had a map finished for my novel. I think you will find the price will be affordable and the artist, which suits your style, within the guild. Good luck on your novel.