Thread: Help me finish this world and map for home use and maybe novellas in the future.

Wip Help me finish this world and map for home use and maybe novellas in the future.

Hello.

I want to get this map done so I can use it for whatever creative reasons I end up pursuing in the future, be it literature, video games, tabletop RPGs, whatever. Figured I'd throw on the forum, in case some fellow that loves to make maps wants to help me out.

Here is the link to the .psd file, current as of 2013-10-21.

• I would prefer not to have a hand-drawn style or something with pasted mountain icons, something more like Saderan-style or something along those lines is preferred.
    • These landmasses should be close to Eurasia in size.
    • I need help making it pretty, and coming up with realistic terrains, biomes, climates, etc.
    • I would like another landmass in the east to be made, about 2/3 the size of Australia. Not too far north.
    • I would also like a good template to edit for the many political maps I will be making
    • Please allow room for depictions of mountains and rivers on the political map.
    • No time contraints.
    • I would like to have a lot of correspondence with the mapmaker.

World name is Turchogoi. Most of the history I have written takes place on the smaller continent of Jyaa-Mein in the northeast.
    Magic is there but rare.
    I have ideas about the world from ancient times to steam/industrial era.
    Sentient races are a mix of my own creations, and from other sources (humans, rabbit and cat-like species, harpies and other flying folk, wemics, centaurs, minotaurs, a few aquatic races, dwarves).
    Common themes are greed, religion, and lust. Most fiction I write would probably end up in the "gritty fantasy" genre.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turchogoi-WIP.png 
Views:	775 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	58584

Copyright: You can use the image for your portfolio, of course!

Contact me: I will be checking back here for replies, or you can email me at my username at yahoo.

For this map you are providing a psd file for reference, is there a standard tool out there for this type of design work, like CC3? Or do most artists use PS?

I doubt there is a standard-tool specifically for making maps. People just use whatever programs they are comfortable with, or want to learn. In my experience of looking at maps that people have made on the internet, PS and GIMP are the most popular image-editing programs.

I wrote an article on GMS Magazine that help potential cartographers choose the right software for them - The Cartographer's Table - Which Mapping Software is Best for You?
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks for the responses and link. Great stuff, appreciated.