Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big picture geographical questions

Octopod, here are two png files, on the CWBP with the current bounds marked, and one realworld imagery with the current bounds marked. Lat and Long as well.
    Both are in Platte Caree, referenced to top right -180,90 bottom left 180, -90
    Maybe this will help.
    Of course real world parallels all depend on axial tilt and so on, I don't know if that was ever delved into, or do we even dare.
    SeerBlue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwbpbounds.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	5302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realworldbounds.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	953.3 KB 
ID:	5303  
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Well, pulling up the world files, I can tell you the following:

CWBP is:

Highest point: 30000 feet
    Lowest point: -30000
    Equatorial Circumference: 25200 miles
    Percent Sea: 61
    Axial Tilt: 20°
    Planetary temperature Model
    Albedo: 0.3
    Light: 1 Sun
    Greenhouse 1.1

Earth:
    Highest Point: +/- 29000 feet (various sources list different altitudes for Everest)
    Lowest Point: 35,838 feet (Mariana Trench, Pacific Ocean)
    Equatorial Circumference: 24,899 miles
    Percent Sea: @ 70%
    Axial Tilt: varies between 22.1° and 24.5°
    Planetary temperature Model
    Albedo: 0.3
    Light: 1 Sun
    Greenhouse 1.1

So, this planet is a little larger than Earth, with a little bit more land and less sea, and a higher 'arctic circle', so this means the tropics are the same, but the warmer temperatures creep just a little further north. Not a lot further, but just a little.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks very much -- I was actually not sure what projection we were using, so this clears up a great deal. I'd already worked out that square (by typing it into Google Maps! haha) but it's good to be able to refer to it like this.

Well, the other thread said that the axial tilt of the world was 20 degrees, so that puts the polar circles for our world at 70 degrees latitude north and south.

Hey Redrobes, do you have a sane sized heightfield of the whole world in HF2/HFZ Format, or any other format I could get into Global Mapper. Got something I want to try involving the rain fall and temp maps and the heightfield.
    SeerBlue

Octopod, I am not sure what the original projection was out of FT, I used Platte Caree as I already had the real world ecw on hand in that projection, and did not want to dl it again, very slow.
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-16-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

The original projection was Equirectangular.

There is also some Rainfall/average temperature maps around too.

Also, the East/west location of the box is inconsequential as that is arbitrary. The only thing that matters is the north/south locations of said box. So, sliding the box west to Europe would give a great correlation between the CWBP and the Real World.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 07-16-2008 at 11:44 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

That's right, I remember a post now where it was suggested that the east and west edges of the map be set so as to not cut a landmass in two.

I found the rainfall and temp maps earlier, that is what prompted me to ask for the heightfield, so I can fidget with them in Global Mapper
    SeerBlue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeerBlue View Post
    do you have a sane sized heightfield of the whole world in HF2/HFZ Format, or any other format I could get into Global Mapper.
    I have uploaded a 4K x 2K zipped HF2.
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Th...orld_4Kx2K.zip

Its been vertically scaled so that max height is 10000m which is pretty close to what Neon said it ought to be.

Thats about 12Mb the full size is about 40Mb zipped.

Thanks Redrobes, got it, let the kids at it in Global Mapper, and posted their start of something for back story filler in the Snapgallows thread, though it will go on the backburner until after I catch up with them with Hebbies and Snapgallows. SeerBlue

OK, next question. What "civilized" species exist in this world? Are we going with D&D core races, or Tolkien core races, or whatever-you-want? Because I'd like to have some kind of plague-resistant humanoids living in region 15, and I'm planning on taking off running with the "small hillfolk from the Greater Uzuid Range" mentioned in East Groam on the wiki, but I'd like to know what this is -- are these naturally plague-resistant small people halflings, or gnomes, or some subset thereof?

I think the idea was the races that were substandard on the height front but enhanced on the consitution front tended to be less affected / be immune to the plague. Halflings have been mentioned as well as gnomes. Dwarfies are likely suffering from the same sort of "can't catch it" difficulty.

Maybe it's just one race of haffers that's spreading it but all of the stunties are being purged anyway because the big races can't tell one from another.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast