Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big picture geographical questions

Well, the game system that seems the most accepted/used by the majority is D&D, so I would say if you want, go with that as a baseline, but most of the stuff is left pretty much system-neutral.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I mixed a little bit of Torq's description of Groam with the knowledge that su_liam is working up halflings ("stoutlings") to the south, and I implied that the hillfolk, the indigenous people of the Tawaren and Groam, might have been stoutlings, or somehow related to the stoutlings

I never really pinned down what they are, but at the moment, I'm leaning toward something similar to a halfling, but perhaps a little taller and semi-nomadic.

I think there's plenty of room for variations on that particular theme. There may be several different strains of the race, expressing many different cultures.

Incidentally, I like what you've done with the wiki entry for the Tawaren Basin. I kept futilely checking my own map looking for the landmarks you wrote about. Feel free to work up more data within the western part of Tawaren if it suits you.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Forgiveness not Permission

I don't think this is going to become a 'finished project' any time soon. My guess is that you're free to make something that appeals to you either:

1. Self contained in your region.

2. A logical extension of any other region so long as it doesn't require a change to what has already been written.

ie. don't expect features of your region to determine the condition of other regions - a culture might think its all alone but the next writer could create another cell elsewhere.

sigurd

How close are we following this? http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...0&postcount=26
    It has seemed to stuck for a few regions, but I'm not sure really.
    Last edited by Airith; 08-01-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: missd a word
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Its a good measure more as an overview, than a hard and fast thing.

If you think of Groam as being the area bordering the Plaguelands, and think of Groam as possibly being equivalent to Eastern European, and Shergal=Europe in scope.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Redrobes,

You previously wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I have uploaded a 4K x 2K zipped HF2.
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Th...orld_4Kx2K.zip

Its been vertically scaled so that max height is 10000m which is pretty close to what Neon said it ought to be.

Thats about 12Mb the full size is about 40Mb zipped.
    Unfortunately, that file seems to have evaporated. (I get a 404)

Could you make the heightfield available again?
    Could it and the other global maps be put on the CWBP Wiki, perhaps?

Thanks.
    Selden

Blog Entries

Hi Selden, I will have a look shortly but if I don't reply then buzz me about it again in a few days. Having a few technical difficulties here so I am not firing on all cylinders. Neon had the original height map tho and I took it to generate that world pic. The pic is up there somewhere but I don't know where about on web server right at this moment. I think the pic is up as a JPG or PNG somewhere instead of zip tho.

Redrobes,

No rush. I have the relief map.
    I'd like to use the heightmap to generate a bumpmap and a specularmap for use with Celestia, so the shading and sunlight reflections change as the planet rotates.

Thanks!
    Selden

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123