Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Eldoran

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well, no Boba Fett, Eldoran is more close to the world of Bas-Lag (if you know China Mieville and Perdido Street Station) : strange technology & magic.
    But you're right somehow : a kind of cataclysm happened a few centuries before this map and it was a kind of a great war against the "astrals" (supposed to be from the outer world, so Boba is not far )

Well, I know for the flat lands, you're the second with Viking to pointed it out, so... I guess I'll have more work than expected!
    Sounds like an interesting setting. You know, if you're working on it in Photoshop or comparable, try just slapping down a pattern overlay with a reduced size and opacity in some of those areas as that should break up the flat enough. Of course, if you're going a bit more for a flatter look - a map that's trying to single out mountains and rivers as major landmarks - try boosting the layer (a little) to make it look like it's printed on "Ye Ol' Paper"/Animal Skin/Papyrus/Grass/Fungi(I should try fungus paper sometime...) and that might put you more on track.
    Last edited by Psylence; 10-24-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Because I derp'ed

Thanks for your comment !

Ah? I'm a bit surprised. I agree for the similar sizes, but for the shapes, I didn't have that feeling. Anyway, the fantasy setting is done since too much time for a change...
    It only bothered me very very slightly and more the size and spacing of things but it is definitely a matter of personal taste! I should have stressed the mildness of my critique more

Thank you for explaining your process by the way!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

You're welcome Viking!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thuvar remade.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	736.2 KB 
ID:	58666
    I'm having some problems to improve those mountains! So, I've worked on one continent (the northwestern one).
    After a lot of tests, this is the more satisfying imo. But I'm not sure to prefer it... What do you think of it? I really need comments on that before working on the rest of the map!

You're welcome Viking!

I'm having some problems to improve those mountains! So, I've worked on one continent (the northwestern one).
    After a lot of tests, this is the more satisfying imo. But I'm not sure to prefer it... What do you think of it? I really need comments on that before working on the rest of the map!
    Personally, I think it looks nicer and it definitely breaks up the ground; however, if you don't prefer it - if you have a different vision - then go with yours! Critique is only just that, in the end it's your creation, your imagination, and that's what's more important.

Thank you Psylence!

What I meant is that I can't decide by myself, so other opinions are very helpful! I'm gonna keep it I think, and at least, give it a try on the whole map !

i really like it! it looks a bit cartoony/watery, but not in an unpleasant way if that makes sense. IMO it's nicer and more interesting than the original.

Thanks DZFaeley. The "watery" look makes senses because I used a "liquid drawing" filter.

So, here is the entire world with that improvement. It's a bit different according to the continents/regions, and I'll need to correct the course of some rivers.

Name:	Eldoran v2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	58730
    What do you think of it?

I'm quite busy but try to keep working on this one. So, the rivers are now added! Next will be probably cities/borders.

Name:	Noveonworld Rivers.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	58869

This is coming along nicely Ilanthar!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks arsheesh!

The map with borders and some labels.

Name:	Noveonworld physical.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	59009
    I'm trying a few things... and I see that I won't be able to put all the informations together on one map (as for the old map). So, this one is the geographical map, with only the big cities (over 500,000 inhabitants) and important features. I'll do a separate political map.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast