Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Eldoran

I'm labelling mountains and some geographical regions. And the best I got so far is just below. Do you find it easy to read?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noveon Labels.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	545.5 KB 
ID:	59034
    I gave a try for the political map : fading by half the mountains and adding borders, towns and coloring the big political entities.

Name:	Noveon polbase.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	59035

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Mountains labels are fine but could be more legible. The font has probably its own flavor but it's not the easiest to read. Maybe try to increase opacity of the light color outer glow to see how it goes?

i have a mixed feelings about this using both sketchy and emboss mountains techniques at once.
    It kind a disturbs the perspective - i have hard time trying to figure out, should i look at this as a top-down or isometric.
    Beside that - i love everything else

Thanks for your comments!

I'm gonna do a few tests, using black letters for a start. I wasn't really convinced by myself about those labels anyway. What about the cities names? I found that easier to read, but maybe I'm fooling myself...

Irbis, I've done a lot of experiments before those mountains. And I'm quite glad of it now. But I understand your feeling. The most important is to figure out the big "mountains ranges", the rest does not really matter.
    Plus, the world is quite "post-apocalyptic" in its own way, the new nations are "re-discovering" the world, largely changed in some areas. Thus, they don't have a precise data on the inner lands and mountains.

And a test with black letters and a white glow slightly more present (and a few more labels). What do you think of it? It's seems more easy to read to me.

Name:	noveon neolabels.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1,016.9 KB 
ID:	59061

oh yes, much easier to read! i really love the font, too.

Wow! That's looking great Ilanthar! Nice work! I'm digging the terrain combined with your effects.

As far as your labels(probably gonna butcher the names):
    Surda
    Raltavh Kalka
    Montagnes Edormies
    Montagnes Blues
    Scythl Morae
    Clymir Morae
    Ibechi
    Lidon

Those names are a bit hard to read. They're sometimes a bit too dark or muddled into the backdrop of your world. It's a nice start, but I think you might need to work on the text a bit more. I think you might want to choose a different color for your cities, or some other way to make them pop out, as(once or twice) there have been letters that pick up tails, tops, etc, from the background which has a color very similar(l and d in Ildefan for reference); however there are also times where the background is too dark and the part of the letter is lost(see h in Ilbechi).

Thanks guys!

Psylence, you are just confirming my doubts on the matter. I wasn't sure that everything was easy to read (when you know the names, you know what you're looking for, so...). Thanks to point out those who are difficult!
    I think I'm gonna try to position it better or reinforce the outer glow. As for the cities, yes, the color was intended to makes it pop out. I think I'm gonna try a different font here.

O.o i didn't even notice the red names... like, at all! i thought it was just the black, which is countries? -_- i am so observant.

but at the same time, i guess that also proves how difficult it was to see XD.

Well, yes I didn't think it was so difficult to read the cities... But again, I know what I'm looking for, so, your advices are precious.

Here is a different test, mainly on the cities names. I have just moved a little some names Psylence mentionned, but it was quite hard to do better.

Name:	Noveon neolabels2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	59130
    If it's still not easy to read, I'll probably try to reinforce the outer glow.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast