Thread: Cartography-Related Tools List

Blog Entries

Info Cartography-Related Tools List

[My 150th Post!]

Hey guys,

ORBIS <-- Cool travel-map, found this thanks to Maezar
    Fantasy Name Generator <-- For names of places and things
    Colorbrewer: Color Advice for Maps <-- Neat tool to explore, good if you want different countries or boundaries.
    TypeBrewer <-- Typestyle can really affect Maps
    A Periodic Table of Visualization Methods <-- If you need to show information on your map and need a format to do it.
    RANDOM.ORG - Geographic Coordinates <-- Great for brainstorming map places & ideas (more often than not, it’ll be water though)
    http://www.mapcrunch.com/ <-- Random street view, helpful for inspiration especially with modern maps. Also shows cultural differences (architecture) and land differences between geographical location.

I’m sure theres more (and perhaps there’s already a thread about mapping tools, I searched and didn’t find anything so I went ahead and made one). If you have some favorite tools to share, drop a link!

-fm
    Last edited by foremost; 11-07-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Blog Entries

Some more stuff:

Behind the Name: Random Name Generator <-- Another name generator for some variation. Others I looked at were dumb because they were combined phrases, not actual names. (Example: Empire of the Dirty Pelican)
    Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash <-- Neat alternative to google maps
    NASA World Wind <-- More 3-D google earth stuff, by NASA
    http://bioval.jrc.ec.europa.eu/produ...ing_laness.png <-- Shipping Lanes
    Chaotic Shiny - Language Mixer <-- Language generator

More when I find them. It's helpful for me to have them all together, hopefully you'll find this list helpful. A lot of the websites that listed tools were way outdated.
    If you’re looking for things to put in maps, check out Bogie’s thread.

-fm

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

This looks very cool, a nice idea to do. Centralized lists have always helped me in finding the tools or information I am searching for. One thing to note would be that instead of adding a new comment each time, to instead edit your original post with the new links. Also, as more resources gets added, dividing them into section would be a good idea as well. When I have the time, I'll look through my bookmarks and send you resources I have gathered together that would fit here. Would you like only ones that would work for cartography, or world building in general?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments and likes guys. Sending me links to your favorite online resources would be awesome, and I can compiled them here. I was thinking of organizing things a little, but figured I should wait until I have enough stuff to warrant doing so!

I know you can edit your post, just want to mark the thread as updated every once in a while. In addition I've got two posts at the top now reserved for list-building. You can PM me with links to your favorite mapping tools or feel free to add them yourself

-fm