Thread: Amazing place !

Post Amazing place !

Hi everyone !

I was wandering the web when I found this forum, and I liked it from the very first minute. I just happen to love fantasy, especially in novels, but I played a few computer RPGs too, and always enjoy a good movie set in a fantasy world.
    I do love maps too. I remember spending hours reading the big world atlas at home, watching in amazement the names of the cities in far countries, on each new page...

Now of course, when you put both together... I spent the whole day yesterday watching your maps of imaginary places, and I was both amazed by the beauty of the images themselves, and deeply lost in thoughts of marvelous worlds, trying to figure out what could be the lives of these people like.

Although I first registered to be able to watch the maps (I confess ^^), it also reminded me of my project of novel (a fantasy novel, of course), and of the few maps I drew back then when I was designing the world. They are now long buried in stacks of old papers, but I suppose it could be the right moment to get them back.

Unfortunately, I am not really skilled in graphic arts. I draw awfully bad and was never able to put on paper (or computer) what I had in mind. I do have, though, some basic skills with the GIMP and Inkscape (on which I worked a bit as a developper), and I hope I'll be able to improve them with the help of your tutorials and the inspiration I'll find here.

I'm looking forward to have an awesome lot of fun here !
    Cheers,
    Tenoch

Well welcome aboard.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hi Tenoch! The good news is that you do not have to be good at drawing to make nice looking maps! There are lots of items of software which can produce pre-generated maps for you (e.g. Fractal Terrains) or you can use RobA's method of creating a fractal coastline using GIMP (see the tutorial section).

Looking forward to seeing your work, and a warm welcome to the Guild!

Thanks for the warm welcoming!

I've already spent office hours doing tutorials and it feels great ;°)

Next time, I'll probably start a map of my own, if I feel like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	5306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchemin.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	826.2 KB 
ID:	5307  

Blog Entries

Heh heh - very good. Must be nice to have a job where you can do some surreptitious mapping...

Heh thanks ! It's an internship actually, and I'm reaching the end, so...