Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2013 Lite Challenge: A Silver a Head

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip October/November 2013 Lite Challenge: A Silver a Head

Alright, so I figure I'll go ahead and try this. So, this is where I am so far. I'll keep updating as I go. It's obviously far from done. Just finished the mountains, and some of the background.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver-Competition.jpg 
Views:	1225 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	58654

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Nice mountains! They could use some shading on one side though, to give them some volume. I like the low perspective in this map

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely working on it. There's a lot of little things that then turned into a bunch of larger things and then.. well you know how it is. Took some time to work it through a bit more, and here's an update because I think it's coming along nicely.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Silver-Competition-2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	651.9 KB 
ID:	58671
    Last edited by Psylence; 10-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Now that's awesome.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Very cool ...

Thanks you two, I appreciate it.

Alright, another update then I'm probably gonna be off for a few days.

So in this one I was working on sharpening some of the lines, going through and trying to draw out some of the details. A lot of work on the background (including adding more to that little plateau over there so it ended off screen.). One of the big changes was to the foreground area where I cut back the area I originally sketched out to make the canyon a bit more prominant - as well as try to offset the land a bit more into describing it as higher up than the rest of the land around it.

Wouldn't mind feedback on whether or not the ledge that the view is from seems higher than the rest of the canyon.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Silver-Competition-4.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	596.4 KB 
ID:	58683

It's looking good but you are right Psylence, I think there is something wrong with the viewing angle or the distance of the ledges. I'm not sure.

Wonderful job so far! I really like the perspective, and your colour palette is absolutely gorgeous. That mountain range in particular looks amazing. I wish I could paint like that. *is jealous*

Something does seem a bit...not quite right with the canyon. To me, it looks kind of like a thin lip (like with a bowl) sticking up above the ground behind it, instead of a 90-degree angle where the top of the canyon wall should meet the ground. I think that might be because there's too much white/light colours along the edge of it? Maybe you could try using darker colours all along the edge, and gradually blend them back into the lighter colour of the terrain behind? I hope that makes sense... Heh.

Also, the left and right sides of the foreground look very close to the edge of the canyon. I think it might look better if we could see that deep drop (like how you've shown it right in the front) on both sides. Just a suggestion!

Exactly Azelor.. I dunno, I might just scrap the front ledge there and go straight canyon, just modify the canyon to be a more more varied. I'll just have to see how the colors work out for me and if everything wants to play nice or not.

I see what you mean, Neyjour. I'll hopefully be able to address the blending issue a bit more and I think I might do a bit more of a gradual slope in some places. Thanks for the input, I should be working again on the map soon.

I love the style you did this in, I love the colors you have. I don't like how dark the canyon is though, it doesn't seem to fit the rest of the maps softer colors. I like your textures, I like how everything flows together. great work Psylence!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast