Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First map ever with photoshop

Default Re: First map ever with photoshop

Love the map - especially those mountains.
    Can you recall at all where you download those brushes from, or what they were called?

Thanks,
    Kronus.

wow! that's so gorgeous!

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the deep rich color of the water. i think the only thing i would like to see, personally, is a bit more color. unless that's the style you're going for, then just ignore me. i'm just a super-fan of rich colors XD.

it's stunning, regardless. just thought i'd toss in my (n00bish, i suppose) input.
    Last edited by DZFaeley; 10-28-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Kronus: As far as the brushes go I really can't remember where I found them, I have several different mountain brushes and in the chaos of collecting the ones for free-use I found the ones I used.

DZFaeley: Thanks for the praise on the color contrasts!

I think I am almost done with this commission. The client is on the fence about adding cities and is debating on whether he is going to add them as his campaign progresses. I will find out in the next few days, either way it was a treat working on this as it was my first map made digitally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	talionps.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	58705  

Guild Novice Facebook Connected nikwriter's Avatar

Nice map! I especially like the isles to the north-east around the Maelstrom. That entire sea must be tricky to sail if the land has been affected like that. They're pretty well inserted into this image.

My suggestion for your coast lines: add a distort affect of some kind to the layer than the ripples are on. In Photoshop, consider the Glass filter or something similar. Any misplaced edges after can be easily solved with some layer mask mechanics. It'll just make them fit even more with the rest of the map. This way, you don't need to dial down their visibility as much, they might just look like they fit.

Keep up the good work though!
    Nick

Join the interactive World of Gethra!
    twitch.tv/navsguild

This is looking fantastic!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm not used to dark blue waters, but here, it's to the profit of the lands. And those are very well done!

I'm beginning to envy this kind of excellent forests... And your coloring/texure effect is quite original and has a good render.
    The only thing that bothers me a little is the bright coastal line (a bit too bright when looked at full size).

Either way, I would be very glad to do such a map when using a software for the first time!

I think I'm done with the map, I was able to modify some areas after convincing the client it would look better and boy was he pleased with the result. I was able to get a mostly complete settlement/important sites location as well from the client.

It was a treat to work on this map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	talionps.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	58809  

This is a beautiful map, Ironreich! Well done. Have some Rep.!

Any chance you are allowed to talk about the world itself, some background? Or maybe the client is inclined to talk a bit about his world? I'd be interested!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12