Thread: Pangea

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default Pangea

Here's a map I made for some roleplayers who are running a campaign set in a stone age/dinosaur mashup world based on Pangea. There are no permanent settlements or political areas, so it's looking a little naked, but landscape is the most fun bit anyway

As always, watercolors and a little Photoshop, and the font is Hobbiton by Nancy Lorenz.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pangea10(72dpi).jpg 
Views:	2522 
Size:	975.9 KB 
ID:	58661

Very nice!

I like it, and the land shape in particular.
    I can't help but to think it would be better with a good texture (paper or other) effect.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice map Lingon. Though it would deserve better border and font that aren't that evocative of the setting imho

Thanks guys!
    @Ilanthar: yeah, you're right! I've made a new version with a texture, I'll just have to check what the client says about it
    @Max: Hm, yes, maybe… Do you have any suggestions? It's not very easy to pick a font for a world that has no writing system, so I choose something regular fantasyish instead of something thematic, and the client was satisfied, but if you know of a font that would fit better I could ask if he wants me to change it. The border will probably stay, because the scale of the map had to be very clear, but again, I'm open to ideas
    Thanks for the feedback!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I'd see something more "primitive" for the font, no particular idea but maybe something that looks like carved on rock or something that could have been paint on a cave wall. Oh well, that's just some personnal taste. Also for the borders, they're good but there's a little style gap between the washed colors of the map and the border itself, with flashy colors, this is actually what I meant.

What a beautiful map! Love the land shape and terrain. The colours are really lovely as well. Excellent work!

Thanks Neyjour!
    Max, I see what you mean now, thanks for explaining! The cave painting is an interesting idea… Never seen such a font though, the closets would be the fake viking runes, which I find rather silly. And actually, I can sorta imagine Hobbiton on a cave wall… if I try… hard… The issue with the frame might have been fixed with the addition of a texture, the client liked it so here's the new version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pangea11(72dpi).jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	1,019.4 KB 
ID:	58728

Nicely done Lingon, I prefer the second map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh