Thread: How big should your fort or castle be? Cool stuff about fort dimensions!

Blog Entries

Default How big should your fort or castle be? Cool stuff about fort dimensions!

So I'm debating trying to make a typical city/castle map, and I was doing some fact gathering and stumbled across this site:

NPS - Fort Vancouver

It has the exact measurements of the outer walls of the fort, plus all kinds of historical stuff about how the fort could have grown over the years.. the fort is believed to have doubled in size in only 2 years, and lots more since then

PLUS if you click the in-article source links, there's lots of neat little "map" sketches actually drawn by/for military leaders during their respective time periods.

I thought it was really awesome and wanted to share it with everyone - hope this is the right place to do so!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Great find. One of my go-to books about castles The Medieval Fortress. The Construction and history of Castles by Sydney Toy is another really good one.

Blog Entries

Oh thanks I'll get that one!

I just started reading Medieval architecture (Arthur Kingsley Porter) on open library, so I'll finish that while I'm ordering
    Have you "liked" a post today?