Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An encounter map based on RobA's GIMP Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I think both have there advantages. I guess the question really is whether the players need to know the extent of the tree's canopy? I can think of no situation where this is necessary. Therefore the tree canopy is just pretty, not useful. What is useful is knowing where the stream is, or a rock that can be used for cover, or difficult terrain. From that point of view I like the first of the two you posted. I can see that the tree canopy is there, but I can also see what the terrain is doing. I don't see a need for outlining the canopy.
    You're right - typically the exact location of the canopy isn't too relevant to an encounter. However, the encounter I'm putting this map together for has a bunch of goblins hiding the in branches of the trees, waiting to ambush the players as they set up camp for the night. So, I anticipate that the players will want to know how far out the branches extend. Of course, this is part of the utility of these computer maps - it's trivially easy for me to adjust it to my needs.

The tree on the left has a 20' wide trunk and the tree on the right has a 10' wide trunk, if these are 5' squares. That seems spectacularly large for any tree I've ever seen. Not sure if this was intentional.
    They're intended to be old oak trees, but, at these sizes, they would also work as, say, weeping willows, or even small baobab trees.

Thanks for the comments!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I still think that 20' wide is a little steep for the trunk.

I see why you need the canopy for this encounter. I think you've got a good balance with that last map with the more subtle outline. Looks to me like a pretty functional (as well as pretty in and of itself) map. Good work.

What program are you going to be using these with?

I still think that 20' wide is a little steep for the trunk.
    Yeah, I've been poking around online a bit and I think you're probably right. I found a reference online to what is purported to be the largest oak tree of record which had a diameter of only about 10 feet. However, 20 foot diameters aren't completely beyond the realm of possibility. For example, here's a picture of the largest of the small forest of baobab trees in southern Oman (for scale, that's me in the red shirt, and I'm about 6'3".) I'm not sure of the exact diameter of this tree, but I'm guessing its at least 20 feet. And, I'm told, the baobabs in Oman are much smaller than those in Africa and Australia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050774.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	5312

In any case, it's not too far out of the realm of imagination that a particular fantastic world may have extraordinarily large trees.

I see why you need the canopy for this encounter. I think you've got a good balance with that last map with the more subtle outline. Looks to me like a pretty functional (as well as pretty in and of itself) map. Good work.
    Thanks! I appreciate your comments. What do you think of the colors?

What program are you going to be using these with?
    I'm using GIMP, basing my techniques on the tutorial RobA put together for artistic regional maps a few months back.
    Last edited by DanChops; 07-17-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep. Baobabs are a good example. I saw one on the salt flats of Botswana that was definitely over 20' wide. just assumed that these were standard deciduous trees and thought the trunks were a bit huge. If you want them to be unusually proportioned for whatever reasons them I'm definitely not going to stop you.

I like the colour scheme - it's very clear.

I realise you are using Gimp - I was just wondering whether you were going to drop the image into a virtual tabletop program when you play a game on it?

I realise you are using Gimp - I was just wondering whether you were going to drop the image into a virtual tabletop program when you play a game on it?
    Heh - I guess I didn't pay enough attention to what you originally said. Silly me.

I actually don't have any firm plans to use this map at the moment - I'm just creating it for the heck of it. I don't have a group where I currently live, and my schedule just isn't quite predictable enough to commit to an online game. I get my fantasy RPG fix these days by creating stuff.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by DanChops View Post
    snip.
    Wow, that is one ginormous tree. It makes me sad to think of the amazing things like this that are out there in the world that I haven't yet had a chance to see...

One of the things I like about fantasy worlds is the possibility for outlandishly huge trees. I remember reading a book where a civilization had built cities high up and inside the trunks of these supermassive trees. I always dug on the concept after reading it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12