Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2013 Lite Challenge: Sand and Crystals

Wip October/November 2013 Lite Challenge: Sand and Crystals

Well, there are already two awesome entries this month but, as the most important thing is to take part…

This is my WIP entry:

Year 2722 AD. With the discovery of Herbert propulsion (named by the scientist who first theorized the hyperspace travel along multidimensional branes), since some centuries, mankind has begun to colonize various kind of worlds, the most hospitable for life and also those less hospitable, but resource-rich.

After nearly a century of peaceful coexistence on the dry planet of Besselor, recently also known as the “Blessed Wasteland”, only place in the known space where it is given to find “The Crystal”, an apparently semi-sentient crystal with incredible and unique qualities, a vicious civil war is nearly breaking out between the various human factions.
    Will the surface of the planet, already arid and inhospitable, also be devastated by the battle for control of key strategic areas?
    While the first starships of the human federation, sent to bring peace, are at weeks of travel from the planet, the latest diplomatic efforts between the various factions seem to fall on deaf ears.

This map want to be a depiction of the northern hemisphere of the planet, where most crystal deposits are found and where, eventually, battles will take place.

As I'm a fan of “Dune the Boardgame”, the map could be slightly reminiscent to the “Dune” game board; and other analogies with the Dune Universe are, well, not pure coincidental, but can be considered a most humble and puny tribute to a masterpiece of scifi literature.

I plan to add at least settlements, crystal deposits, texts and embellish everything.

It’s my first time using textures from photos, and it’s my first mostly top down (but not all elements will be) and non fantasy map, so I really don’t know where I’m headed.

Of course tips and critiques are highly appreciated!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sabbia e cristalli rid.jpg 
Views:	16862 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	58712  
    Last edited by fabio p; 10-29-2013 at 02:10 PM.

This is off to a really nice start! Great description, and I love the overall presentation with the circular border.

Thank you Neyjour, I really need some encouragement

You're welcome!

Just noticed you need to edit your "###Latest Wip###". It needs to be in all caps with a space between the text and the hash symbols, otherwise it won't show up in the thumbnails forum.

Thank you!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Very cool idea and execution so far! Are you going to show major battles or fortifications, something like that?

@Neyjour - as long as there's a space in between the hashtags and Latest WIP, it's okay if it's not in caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    @Neyjour - as long as there's a space in between the hashtags and Latest WIP, it's okay if it's not in caps.
    Oh, okay! Thanks.

@Diamond: Thank you.
    As long as the civil war is about to break, I won't show battles; maybe (I strongly would) troops positioning, if I will be able to draw a suitable icon/shape for the troops. There will almost surely be crystal deposits and human settlements, as I'm already working at them; maybe one or two neutral spaceports.

As for other physical or political features on the actual map, I still don't know, it depends on the time left, consistency and on the ability to draw what I would like to put in.
    As for the frame and the contour of the actual map, the lozenges represent the shields of the factions: I will add the names, don't know which and where. I think also at least a basic key should be added.

Time permitting, I plan to have a shield/symbol of the human federation and maybe a shield of the planet; and maybe other features if the mood strikes..

Some minor progress: scattered human settlements, (domes with allegiance indicated by the shield) and crystal deposits.
    Numbers and position of both are not definitive.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sabbia e cristalli wip 2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	58761

Progress so far:
    I changed the background to a starry one and added troops, shields, a legend, faction names, spaceports.
    Maybe I could add settlements names but I don’t know, I don’t want to clutter too much the map.

If you have feedbacks I would gladly hear them; actually, I think I'm mostly done, unless last ideas or feedbacks that I can implement.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sabbia e cristalli wip 3.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	58854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast