Thread: How Do I .... Change Colours to Copy Another Effect?

Question How Do I .... Change Colours to Copy Another Effect?

Hi there

I'm new here, though I have been reading and trying many of the tutorials on here. They have been very useful and informative (I've understood some of it as well as just copying the steps). Maybe I should add, I'm working in Gimp and my knowledge is at the "I need to do X, let's find someone who explains how to do that". Anyway, here's my difficulty:

I'm trying to create a map for a game (the guy running it has done the outlines and types of land). I wanted to give it an appropriate look and feel (it's set in ancient Japan) and I've found an image of a map that has a lovely style for what I want. The first thing I'm looking at is how to re-create the look of this paper. I've gone through Rob A's old paper/parchment tutorial and Candacis's antique style maps one. What I have so far is shown in the picture below (it's Rob A's tutorial except I didn't bump the texture as I wanted to keep the paper smooth (and I liked the look of this).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trying Old Paper.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	58743

The other image shows the colouring and style of the map I'm basing this work on.

What I want to know is how can I colour my paper to match the colouring of that original?

cheers and thanks for any help
    Guy

You want to keep it smooth and have the parchment texture as well ? or is it just about the color ?

And welcome to the Guild!
    Last edited by Azélor; 10-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks.

If it looks like the "original" that would be enough/fine by me. Which is my way of saying I created my paper thinking I could do that and then add the colour. However, I don't care if that just needs to be thrown away as there is another way to recreate the look of the original.

cheers
    Guy

Ok, well it's simple. Take you paper and reduce the saturation to 0 (in color/hue saturation)
    then put the layer paper over the original
    set the mode of the paper layer to multiply and it should give something like this

Attachment 58760

I lowered the brightness of paper a little

you can also try other layer mode to see what give the best result

Thanks. I think I see where I should be going now.

cheers
    Guy

Guild Journeyer

If you want to duplicate colors from your original, you may also want to check out Color / Map / Sample Colorize, which allows you to remap colors from a source image into a destination image.

Mark

Thanks for that (sorry for long delay in getting to this). I'll check that out.

cheers
    Guy