Thread: Oktober / November Lite Challenge: The Frozen Wastes

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Wip Oktober / November Lite Challenge: The Frozen Wastes

So .. first time at a contest, second time at a map

Since I'm having much fun at designing maps, I couldn't resist throwing in a couple of more or less lame puns ^^

Anyway, here goes:

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polecap.png 
Views:	313 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	58778

As we can see from the rose, we are looking at the north pole of a planet - probably a fantasy planet, since a dragon's skeleton lies buried in the ice.
    I'm still tinkering with the idea of going completely anachronistic and putting a military camp somewhere in there ..
    (I wonder, how fantasy names would develop over time ... especially since here in Germany we still do have names like "Schwarzwald" - black forest, "Wolfschlucht" - wolf's gorge, "Großes Teufelshorn" - big devil's horn, and so on .. hmmmm )

Feedback is more than welcome

Kind regards,
    Kai
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free Print and Play games

Love the compass rose there!

How big is that dragon supposed to be? From the rest of the map, he looks like he's larger than an entire mountain range, and my mind is refusing to accept that, which is making me feel like the whole map is smaller than you probably want it to be.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Looking good so far! I noticed that where the lettering crosses both ice and ocean it becomes difficult to read. This might be partly because it is transparent? You could also try adding a white border outside the black stroke on your letters.

I just read a script for Guillermo Del Toro's treatment of "At the Mountains of Madness" and so I'm pretty excited to see an arctic entry!

cheers,
    Meshon