Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
I like the textures you are using!

I'd suggest tweaking the colors a bit though; right now, it's super-heavy in contrast everywhere, which is negative for the readability. Using contrast focused in small areas make it easy for the eye to find the important things. Many labels curve more than they have to, too, and raster programs don't handle extremely curved text very well, making the letters distorted in many places. If you want the mountain names to follow the ridges, one way is to use a smaller font size.

Those where my thoughts at least
Thanks for you input. I definitely plan on adjusting some of the labeling. I'm not quite sure what you mean about contrast of colors though - I think they have very similar brightness. I could see if you meant that they are too saturated - as the colors are all pretty strong at the moment. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I come to the final version. I'll probably do several different versions of color/tone/saturation adjustments at the end to find out which one seems the easiest to view and is the most enjoyable to look at. So keep your eyes open for that!

As far as textures go - I take a lot of photos of things myself. The dark forest green - for example is just green velvet super-close up. It sort of has this bird's eye of a forest feel to it. The hardest texture to find, by far, was one for the plains. I wanted it to have a grassy feel without being too exaggerated. I'm still not totally happy with it, but it will have to do until I can find something better.