Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inkarnate

Default Inkarnate

What do you think of this tool?

https://inkarnate.com/

And what compared to a hand drawn map?

I've used it before, not exactly my style, but interesting things have been made with it by some people who have the full version (I think 7legionarmy is one). Combining it with Gimp or Photoshop and such should be interesting. I would use it more if those mountains were to my taste lol. Otherwise It's actually pretty good in my view... Though I largely prefer drawing them myself.

I've seen some pretty good maps here by people who were using Inkarnate.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=39333

I found it has a CC3 look.
    I mean, it look like it's made with a plopping software, it does not look hand drawn.
    the maps aren't bad but there is something that puts me off.

You might be surprised to know that only a very small number of my maps are done purely in GIMP or Krita. The great majority of them are still CC3 maps - usually with an imported GIMP background.

From what I've seen at the Guild, Inkarnate's built in styles are a bit lacking in variation, which has the unfortunate tendency to make the maps produced by it a bit 'samey' - even though there is nothing actually wrong with the styles themselves. CC3 allows the user to make their own styles, which allows far greater variation and individual personalisation. I'm not so sure that's even possible with Inkarnate.

Yes, that's the thing, they look too similar.
    Is Inkarnate a free software?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

I agree wholeheartedly with Mouse. It lacks true variety. I used it myself back when I started creating maps. It is amazingly fun and simple to pump out a proper looking map, but it won't have your own unique style attached to it. Though, if they kept a part of the beta then you can create your own custom objects and use that to create maps with a more unique flair in it. BUT, I would only do that to use Inkarnate's nifty system of dynamicly shifting objects to middle front or back. Still, I can do that in gimp with enough layers(or CC3 for you who have it. )... Or if blending land textures is not your thing, then Inkarnate is awesome for that.

Still, for me, Inkarnate is a great way to test concepts and then you can go and draw it yourself.

EDIT: Though for DM's looking to create awesome maps with minimal artistic effort, while not minding the variety, then Inkarnate is brilliant for that. Mapmaking takes a while to get good at and a long time to master, as you all know, so for certain needs Inkarnate does the job really really well.
    Last edited by XCali; 02-13-2018 at 11:04 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Azelor(sorry I don't have the accent on me keyboard) it's got a free beta version, but it lacks lots of what the paid one has. I've only ever played with the beta version, so I'm not sure what exactly the full version has to offer...

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    EDIT: Though for DM's looking to create awesome maps with minimal artistic effort, while not minding the variety, then Inkarnate is brilliant for that. Mapmaking takes a while to get good at and a long time to master, as you all know, so for certain needs Inkarnate does the job really really well.
    To me that seems like the major point of the software, for people to put out good looking maps quickly for their campaigns or whatever. I think that consistency of style that Mouse and Azelor are complaining about is actually a strength in that regard, since all the maps end up looking like they belong together.

Inkarnate is a useful tool to get your map done but, the style is set. Even if one cannot draw if one's life depended on it, I'd say hand drawn over everything. I'm artistically challenged (hell, I never drew anything before my first map) but you can learn by studying the marvels posted here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast