Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karth

Wip Karth

Here is a snippet from a larger image for a map of a fantasy I've developed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-Map-2.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	58829

It looks nice, I want to see more of it.

I like the fractured feel of the map. Was there some glaciation at work? I think I see some potential fjords, though I can't figure out which direction the glacial action was working in. I'd love to see the larger map, as well. Good stuff here.

Very nice! I also want to see more of this. And if you are willing, tell us a bit about the world itself and its cultures.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Here is the whole map as it currently exists.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karth-Full.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	58836

The shape of the world was caused by a mythical war between the Gods and the Elemental Lords. The world has recovered for the most part so it's considered a story on how the world was made by most races. Currently most civilized cultures exist north of the bodies of water, and south of the mountains. The Southern lands are more wild and unsettled, the Savage Lands some area's are called.

The richest areas are to the far west, and to the far east, and there is lots of trade by sea between the two areas. The small narrow point with the cluster of islands is home to The Free City of Thanro, a wild, exciting city that controls the flow of commerce across the four center seas. All ships must dock there, and pay tolls to continue. The waters around the islands are tricky and rock filled, and only the merchant masters of Thanro know the safe passages through. In Thanro, all races are welcome. It's not uncommon to see races who are normally mortal enemies walking the street. This makes Thanro as dangerous as it is exciting. Just about anything or anyone can be bought in the city.

To the far east, are ancient Elven Lands. Some believe them to not exist, because it is said that sailors have passed through the waters without seeing even the tiniest of islands, and eventually come on the western shores of Karth. In truth, the lands exist in two worlds, this world, and the Fey. The King of the Elves can, for a short time cause the land to be completely in one realm or another. But the King can also simply enchant the waters surrounding the islands, so that sailors chart a course around it, never realizing they are being trick. No one lands in the elven lands without consent of the King.

To the far south is the ancient home of the Giants. They don't mix with the other civilizations much, their time is often spent in clan wars among themselves. They live primarily in the mountain areas. It is said that the giants are a wealthy of ancient lore about the lands and the war between the Gods and the Elemental Lords. They were skilled in magic and crafts, and still area.

The northern lands are a mixture of wild lands and settlements. Mainly barbarians and vikings, who come raiding down into the Southern Lands as the seasons permit. The far north is often covered in snow, and the seas covered in ice. It's a harsh land, and unforgiving.

There's still much to develop of course, as this is a WIP. I've yet to decide if I want to add a second land mass, and if I did, were would I add it? I feel there's a lot to work with here.

And thanks everyone.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks very promising Tim! Looking forward to seeing your progress on it

Excellent work so far! This will earn you some rep when done I'd wager I really like the subtle colouring scheme you have.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Guild Apprentice

Love the mountain detail.

I agree with - Max - and Viking. And good setting for adventure with a good use of the map.

Looking very nice so far Tim, I'll be watching for updates.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast