Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hune - A Fantasy World Map

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Wip Hune - A Fantasy World Map

Sup guys and gals.

So I've got a fantasy novel "project" that I've been "working on" for several years; I say "project" and "working on" because in that time all I've managed to accumulate is a pretty big word document of random information and plot ideas, and a folder full of doodles of places, people, and the world in general.

Recently, I got roped into GM a game of Pathfinder for a few noob friends - it's my first time GMing anything, so it's all a little bit daunting, so to make it a bit less so I decided why not make the setting for the game my fantasy world? That way it gives me a setting that I'm at least half familiar with, and it will give me a chance to bash out some more specifics about the geography and towns and such of the world, something I've really neglected until now.

All this means that I am currently reworking my mapwork, hopefully better. None of that for now, though, so here's some dated pictures to give you an idea of the world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	byrdiamap.jpg 
Views:	1078 
Size:	907.8 KB 
ID:	58833
    Hune first started life as Byrdia, and Byrdia was a SimCity 4 map. I don't think I ever actually used the map, but this is the major landmass that I've focused on with my "project".

Name:	byrdiatime.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	58834
    Another outline of the landmass/es, a bit more easy to see than the screenshot.

Name:	byrdia3.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	583.8 KB 
ID:	58835
    The furthest I got as far as detail goes; this is the eastern half of the main landmass (which is pretty easily split into two halves, conveniently), which is where the "project" was going to be predominantly set. This shows how long it's been since I've done any "work" on it, Foundation isn't a thing in the "project" anymore. Dawn and Aark are to be the sort of two opposing main powers, with both cities being built on top of and into the side of (respectively) colossal mesa-type things.

Anyway, that's all for now, hopefully I'll get some screens of the new WIP map up in the next couple of days - I'm currently lacking a drawing tablet of any description, so I'm using Illustrator CS5, so I'm not quite getting the amazing hand-drawn look I'd love to have, but it'll all be useful in the end hopefully.

Any crits or feedback on what you see here is welcome and encouraged; I'm a bit janky when it comes to placement of mountain ranges, rivers and the like, but helpfully part of the concept of the "project" is that there was a race of creators who basically messed with the world and did what they want so I can sort of get away with it a little bit

Cheers guys!

Guild Apprentice

Pretty cool! I'd like to see where you go with it!

I absolutely love that this started out as a sim city 4 map! Your rivers don't seem too bad although the swamp area is a little iffy. Usually a swamp would be contained in a single drainage basin and not divided over two. Everything looks very passable though despite you being new to this stuff Were I you, I'd draw that mountain range a little further south east and join it up to those steep cliffs you are going for but that is a matter of taste only lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Quote Originally Posted by DearCyrus View Post
    Pretty cool! I'd like to see where you go with it!
    Thanks! Updates soon hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I absolutely love that this started out as a sim city 4 map!
    Haha yes SC4 is one of those games I'll get all excited to play, download roughly one million mods for, and by the time I have it all set up I've lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Were I you, I'd draw that mountain range a little further south east and join it up to those steep cliffs
    Herp, that makes sense Cheers!

Name:	hune.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	58856

Some progress has been made! Evenwood is obviously where the Pathfinder campaign is taking place to begin with, hence the large amount of detail around there, but I'm starting to work out placement of everything else and landmasses and names for stuff and so on, so it doesn't have to be too pretty. I accidentally made the file as large as an Illustrator file can be, so everything is MASSIVE - as a result you can't really read any of the little names and stuff, but oh well. Also nicked Optimus Princeps, which is the font that -Max- uses on his fantastic maps. It's such a nice font.

Ordered a new tablet today, so hopefully I'll be able to start PSing this stuff soon. I hate having to use solid colours. Damn you Illustrator!
    Last edited by madbird-valiant; 11-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Name:	hune1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	526.7 KB 
ID:	59072

Graphics tablet get! I'm vaguely terrified to start on the land itself.

Name:	hune3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	919.4 KB 
ID:	59080

Mountains! I think their scale may be a bit off but I'm not sure.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Very nice land shape! How big is it? The mountains look cool, but it's hard to tell wether their scale is off if we don't know the map's scale They are obviously a lot smaller than in the original though.

I'm not entirely sure of the scale My current working scale is that small black line to the right of the colour palette, which I've been using as roughly 20-50miles or something thereabouts. It's meant to all be pretty big and dramatic and impressive, so a 50 mile-wide mountain range isn't too far out of what I'm looking for, but I may tweak that a bit

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Seems pretty good then! If the black line is 35 miles (the average of 20 and 50), the range is about 175 miles at its widest point, which seems pretty common for the major ranges of Earth when looking on Google maps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast