Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eidos

Map Eidos

Another map!

This is the first map I've done for someone, and it turned out quite nicely. It is for this request, which by the way, is taken and finished by me.
    It was all done on photoshop and took a week and a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eidos.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	88868

What do you think?

Hopefully I will be able to make a map for the Lite Challenge, but I've been busy and working on this map, so I haven't got to it yet.

Absolutely gorgeous mountains Matthew

Would it perhaps be a little cleaner without all those little grey lines? I don't know.

Thanks Mouse!

Do you mean the water lines? Now that I look at it I do think it would look cleaner with more defined lines.

I think you might just have nailed it in one there, Matthew. Forgive me, but they do seem a little chaotic, compared to the very careful way you have drawn the coastline, and the mountains.

How about doing some of those broken parallel lines I've seen on other b/w line maps done in PS? (Forgotten what they're called just this moment). Hope you know what I mean - the ones that kind of follow the shape of the coast but are drawn progressively thinner and more broken as you get further from the coast - usually 2, but maybe 3 of them at times? The only time I don't like them is when they become a bit too much around the smaller islands.

There are lots of other ways I've seen PS users deal with the coastal waters, and some of them do involve drawing little wave shapes, but they are always quite neat and carefully drawn - like your mountains are. They don't tend to cross over each other either.

The way you have drawn the water here is more like I would draw it at the beginning of a painting - energetic pencil strokes - expressive, but maybe... not in combination with the careful drawing of the rest of the map?

I hope that helps, and please don't take my personal opinion to heart. If you like them like that, and your client likes them like that, then please do just ignore me

Yes, I understand what you mean, and I agree with you.

When I drew it I took a bit of a shortcut and draw the lines in a small area and create a stamp/pattern, then used the stamp tool to quickly put it everywhere.

My client didn't say anything about it (he was very, very loose with the map anyway), but I'm still tempted to go and fix it up. However, I think I'll leave it for this one, and keep your advice in mind for future maps.

Thanks!

Very nice indeed! Though I think I agree with mouse about the water lines.
    What is this, like your third map? Awesome!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Looks like it won't be long before Matthew gets himself a nice shiny silver compass to match yours Josiah

Blog Entries

Those are some very intimidating mountains!
    Great job.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

I second Mouse on the waves and I'd say you could make your coastal details a little more discreet. These are just tiny nitpicks, the map is very good.

I looks great Matthew! I understand what the others say about the waterlines, though I personally don't find it disturbing when zoomed out. Keep up the good work!

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast