Thread: Fantasy map DRAFT - need help with vegetation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fantasy map DRAFT - need help with vegetation

Hi everyone! I'm writing a fantasy novel and need a very detailed map of The Known World for this. It takes place on this map (between roughly 25°N and 55°N) and it's sort of like the Mediterranean on Earth. I've been messing with this draft to help me plan everything better. It is imperative to me that the map is as realistic as possible, meaning the climate and vegetation. I have the mountains in position where I want them, I have the sea currents, so climate wise I should be good. But I am uncertain of my vegetation. I know there's going to be broadleaf forest and mediterranean scrub. I'm just confused how much forest is realistic... I was thinking to put coniferous forest on the continent on the top right, but I don't know if that area is northern enough? I'm also thinking to do desert or semi-desert on the bottom left, since it's right next to a huge mountain range.

I'd appreciate if anyone has a better understanding of what is realistic for vegetation.

Eventually I plan to make this a paid commission in two steps. In a first stage where I pay about 100$ to have the map drawn and the artist keeps copyright. And second stage when the book gets published (either self of classic publication) and I can pay a proper sum for the work. I don't know if that's realistic? But in any case, right now I'm looking for feedback on vegetation. Thanks and have a great day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartography - Map Of The Known World (guild).jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	782.4 KB 
ID:	58904
    Last edited by Artax; 11-06-2013 at 09:37 PM.