Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Award Winner] Old School Blue in Illustrator

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    I wonder WHY they chose that blue. Were they hoping for a "non-repro" effect? Anybody remember those days?
    I heard it was an overstock ink, and the printers gave them a deal.

Maybe they could only spring for 1-color printing, and wanted something other than black for aesthetic reasons? Whatever the motive, they definately created an iconic style that all of us old-timers associate with "the good old days." Here's to branding at its least manipulative.

Great tutorial, delgondahntelius, thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Well... I dunno if you actually did know why they chose blue... but in case you really don't know, the reason for the blue was because in the early days of black and white photos, the process could caputre most visible spectrums of light except for the color blue... something about the emulsion would render blue marks white, and thus.. invisible. Non Photo blue pencils became a standard in the print industry because you could sketch and ink over the blue marks... and in the final print the blue wouldn't show up.

Then xerox comes along and finds out that blue pen doesn't show up on copies made (because of whatever process that it used at the time) Since in the 70's and early 80's saw xerox machines as a main form of making copies, I'm sure TSR wanted you to buy and not copy thier stuff (pirate's eh?) they made blue a standard for maps in an attempt to keep thier copyrighted stuff from being sold on the black market for pennies they would never see...

This of course, is my theory on the matter....

and Thanks cklarock and ravs

Yes, blue will not photograph in a dark room, nor copy on a xerox machine - this is true in the print industry and is in fact the reason TSR chose to use it.

Regarding "old school maps" and me - I've been playing D&D since 1977, so I'm familiar with old school maps. Although I appreciate the nostalgia brought to many oldtimers regarding old school maps whether blue or B/W, the main reason I got into creating maps for my RPGs, is I hate old school maps.

I've always been into full color for all my creations. Knowing the truth, that color printing has always been expensive, especially moreso in the past. I've always felt that old school maps were designed to be cheap and difficult to duplicate.

The very reasons I map at all.

I'm an old school gamer, but not an old school mapper - it really isn't me.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yep, but the reason I like old school maps... it brings back a sense of nostalgia for me. That is the reason I like them... when I cracked open my first adventure to ever run (X1, Isle of Dread) and the excitement of running and playing a game... how a kobold was something to be feared at first level....
    This is the reason for my love of blue maps.... that and bluemaps are the reason I started seriously mapping.... because I knew I could do better than that! .... lol... "I can make a better statue or an alter than THAT. I didn't even know that WAS an altar, I thought it was a two poster bed!" .... To me, they always looked something that was nothing more than a glorified Flow chart....

as to what kind of maps i'm into? color or blue, pen and ink or whatever.... doesn't matter.... I LOVE MAPS!!!! .... But I can't hate blue maps... they inspired me to be better.... they represent my youth (sad huh?) and have been host to some really good adventures!

As an aside note.... using non photo blue for maps really doesn't stop a determined mapper, one who has access to a pencil and graph paper... lol.

Glad to see other "old-timers" hung up on The Blue.

Be sure to check out my S1 replica map:
    http://www.mad-irishman.net/pub_dnd_1e.html

I've got a lot more "blue" maps done, but they're all for upcoming projects...

Cheers,
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by madirishman View Post
    Glad to see other "old-timers" hung up on The Blue.

Be sure to check out my S1 replica map:
    http://www.mad-irishman.net/pub_dnd_1e.html

I've got a lot more "blue" maps done, but they're all for upcoming projects...

Cheers,
    Patrick
    Excellent replica, I tought about doing that particular map for the tutorial, but I felt I could get the point across with something a bit simpler... Blue maps do give that old school feel, for sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12