Thread: [WIP] Continent map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] Continent map

Hello everyone,

I've started to do some work on a continent for a homebrew world. It's still very much a work in progress. Anyways I'm hoping to get some feedback on what I have done so far. I wanted to try and create a map that had some hand drawn elements to it. I have a few areas that I want to specifically focus on.

1.) The segmented coast lines around the land mass, yay or nay?
    2.) Does the mountains and tree's scale well with one another and the landmass itself.
    3.) Tips on the rivers (lakes and what not have not been implemented). I'm not happy with them and would prefer some tips on making them more realistic.

Any thoughts/criticism's are more than welcome. Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morvaire.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	58884

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Nice water texture.

1) Nay on the little ripple lines around the coast - at least the way they are there. They're a bit too thick and look too obviously Photoshop Brush-y. Maybe try outer-glowing the landmass itself with a pale blue and very low opacity if you want the land to pop out a bit from the water.
    2) The mountains could probably be a bit bigger or the trees a bit smaller - probably the trees a bit smaller - but on the whole it doesn't look too bad. It gets the point across well enough. What I would say though is that you should probably change up the brushes a bit more - One of the mountains in particular (double-peak, like the one on the far left of the upper range) is repeated a bunch. At least flip it here and there if you don't have access to more brushes.
    3) The rivers are my main beef with this as it is at the moment - the one in the bottom-left simply shouldn't exist, rivers don't connect from ocean to ocean, and rivers very rarely split going with the flow. Additionally there are a bunch of rivers which don't seem to come from anywhere in particular, just crop up in the middle of plains.

Here's some ideas for where rivers could go just going by what mountains and stuff you have in place at the moment - obviously if there's more high ground areas, rivers could conceivably form there, but typically rivers originate in mountains.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivers.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	58886

This is a great thread if you're after some advice on getting your rivers looking right.

All that said, love the shape of the landmass - are you planning on having islands and stuff or just the one continent?

Thanks for the heads up on the River Thread Madbird, that's a great source of information. To answer your question, yes there is multiple islands present that I haven't drawn in yet. I wanted to get the feel of the main landmass down before I started on the islands. There is also a border coming in as well that I won't finish until I get all the islands and landmass finished up.

After looking around at the mountains and tree's I agree with you. A lot of the mountains are repeated I'm going to have to fix that for sure. Definitely going to decrease the size of the tree's too. I didn't think they scaled to well in the first place.

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Coolio, look forward to seeing your edits