Thread: *** November Challenge - Map a Globe ***

Post *** November Challenge - Map a Globe ***

The suggestion for this month's challenge comes to us from Schwarzkreuz:

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I have recently stumbled upon the G.Projector Software from Nasa, which also support projections to create a Globe. So my surgestion is to create a map which can be printed and glued together to a pretty globe.
    While you may avail yourself of the G.Projector software this is not a requirement of the challenge, nor is any printout necessary. The map itself must be in the form of a globe - how you decide to do this is entirely up to you.

Please include the following in your entry threads:

Title each new thread November 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of December, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.

So does it have to be round or placed on an orb or can it be shown as flat, like those old triangle style cut outs that supposedly if you cut them out would fold up to meet the edges together and create the approximation of a globe?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

I was also thinking about a 'D20' polyhedral projection

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    So does it have to be round or placed on an orb or can it be shown as flat, like those old triangle style cut outs that supposedly if you cut them out would fold up to meet the edges together and create the approximation of a globe?
    I think either way would be fine.

Don't forget that Wilbur has a feature to convert a Plate Caree projection map into an icosahedron that you can print and fold. And that Fractal Terrains from ProFantasy has predefined projection settings for multi-gore whole-world maps suitable for printing, cutting, and folding!

I would really like to see photos of maps for this challenge that get printed out and folded up. Animations would be nice, too.

If you're confused about some of the ideas for globes, consider the following:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...ate-globe.html
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ho...nversions.html

Guild Apprentice

I'm new to the site, But I would like to enter this challenge. Where and how do I go about putting up my WIP? (What info I need to include and such...)
    Thanks in advance for any help. You[will be]'re the best!

Blog Entries

One thing to watch out for, if you try to feed a plate carree projection map that has textures and lines and text and point symbols and whatever through software that can reproject it to into gores or a foldable net, all that pretty stuff is going to get mangled, particularly near the poles.

You are going to want to work out your geometry, then project, then style.

The hard part then is dealing with anything that crosses a boundary.

The best way to handle things would be to project into two sets of gores that overlap half way, then to two polar projections, then style things in each one, then project them all back to plate carree, and merge them all together manually in graphics software, then finally project to the finished net for the globe. That's a lot of work though.

Keeping in mind where the seams will be and avoiding placing letters on them would also be worthwhile. If a label spans a seam, try to get the seam to go through the space between the letters and if avoid crossing the seams at all if it's practical to do so.