Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons of Earen - A Work In Progress

lol i ment on the design of the pit cuz the dude said it looked too dark, but regarding the HUGE pit, if they dont fall on their own... lets just say tentacles will make sure they do

Heh. I'd say put a little bit of a dark gray in around the edge, and then smudge it inward. That'll make it look like it goes somewhere, although it might look a little odd since everything else is orthographic.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by megrim View Post
    any suggestions on the pit?
    Aside from the obligatory "push them in" comments ( ), have you experimented with using a gradient fill that goes from a dark gray to black, to give it the illusion of depth.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

lol i ment on the design of the pit cuz the dude said it looked too dark, but regarding the HUGE pit, if they dont fall on their own... lets just say tentacles will make sure they do

Trying for something like this?
    Name:  darkness.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  14.2 KB and Name:  darkness copy.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  8.3 KB

keep the dark splotch on the layer below a gradient set to circular.... I then duplicated that layer three times, setting the opacity of the layer down so that you could see the layer beneath it. I set the bottom gradient blend mode on Linear Light, then merged the gradient layers together. Set the opacity down so the black bleeds thru... blurred the gradient some with the blur tool to mesh it all together. I pulled the opacity on that gradient layer for the final finished look to about 15%... adjusting it till I got the look I wanted....

Here is the gradients I made for it:
    darkpit.zip

RE: Pit

Blur a piece of floor a little smaller than the pit and overlay it sort of centrally. Play with the opacity etc... until it seems like its at the bottom. Just enough dark information to suggest that its not inky space would be a big improvement.

Sigurd

Guild Adept

This is sort of what I am talking about. I added a bevel around the edge and a gradient fill.

Love the style (I saved it for a future reference). I really like how the block walls blend in to the surrounding earth.

One problem on the left hand side - it looks like you got some cut/paste type clipping with obvious straight lines....here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-07-19_165536.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	907.9 KB 
ID:	5364

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    This is sort of what I am talking about. I added a bevel around the edge and a gradient fill.
    Thanks ill look into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Love the style (I saved it for a future reference). I really like how the block walls blend in to the surrounding earth.

One problem on the left hand side - it looks like you got some cut/paste type clipping with obvious straight lines....here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-07-19_165536.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	907.9 KB 
ID:	5364

-Rob A>
    Lazinesson my part, already fixed it, will show in updated version later on

Guild Adept

Thanks ill look into it.
    Again, mine was just a suggestion. I actually think the map is very cool looking and since you stated it was a work in progress, am looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast