Thread: Greetings all

Guild Applicant

Post Greetings all

Just joined the guild and thought I would say hello. I have not done anything in mapping (or fantasy RP for that matter0 in many years but have an urge to rediscover it. I decided to use ProFantasy CC3 software because I really loved some of the ample maps I saw created with it. I am most interested in creating what I consider 'classic' fantasy maps (Lord of the Rings style) rather than anything photorealistic.
    The world I am creating has 4 or 5 major kingdoms and an assortment of small independent islands. If I could ask for a bit of early advise, do you recommend starting with the less detailed world map and then move to more detailed region maps or build the more detailed regions and combine them in a reduced scale world map?

Thanks, I appreciate any thoughts.

JRM1953

I'm a noob here too and would be cool to have someone to be a noob with!
    your ideas sound pretty cool, I'm working kinda like you with trying to finalise my ideas into one map, then making detailed sub maps for regions and what not.
    get back to me if you wanna share ideas and what not.

-Ben

Welcome JRM1953, and Ben! @JRM1953, as with so many things, "it depends". If you need something soon in order to begin running a RPG campaign, then I'd say start with the area that your players will be exploring, whether that be a regional map, a dungeon or even a major town. You can always expand outward as needed. On the other hand, if you have time on your hands and are into world-building then I'd start with a birds-eye view of the world (or known world) which clearly marks out major civilizations and geographical features and then map out the specific regions. My 2c.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh