Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ahrendessa - commission map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks guys!
    @ Eilathen : I know you're not a fan of this kind of forests but i guess it's a matter of taste. i don't like being stucked in only one drawing style and like testing out several ways of drawings maps

Indeed, I have no single style of forest, mountains, rivers or most terrain features in a map that I consistently do the same. I am always experimenting and trying out new ways to graphically depict every map I create. I have half a dozen different ways I might depict mountains for example.

Although I personally find the way forests are depicted in this map as somewhat underwhelming that is a design choice and not a value judgment - I've tried styles in the past that may have worked for a given map, but I may not have repeated the technique. This is very subjective and there is no 'best way' to depict any terrain feature. As long as the reader of the map understands what they are viewing, that is the most important aspect.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well, everything about a map is a matter of taste, that's a given. And i also do not have one-style-only philosophy. But this forest-style is just not for me. And i feel the need to criticize the things that i don't like. I think, in the end, it's more useful/helpful than just posting a one-liner in the vein of "Wow, how nice". I try to point out what i like and what i don't and if i can, why i don't.
    But that does not mean the whole map is not for me...as i said, i like the overall map.

P.S.: Sorry for the tangent, not picking on you specifically, Max! It just so happens that this came up in one of your threads.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great Max. The subdued and light scheme are both very pleasing. The forests are forests and I knew that looking at the map so they did their job. Have some rep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Eilathen, there's absolutely no problem with your comment Your comments, as usual (and criticizes, whatever they are ) are always appreciated!
    @Jtougas : Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Well, everything about a map is a matter of taste, that's a given. And i also do not have one-style-only philosophy. But this forest-style is just not for me. And i feel the need to criticize the things that i don't like. I think, in the end, it's more useful/helpful than just posting a one-liner in the vein of "Wow, how nice". I try to point out what i like and what i don't and if i can, why i don't.
    But that does not mean the whole map is not for me...as i said, i like the overall map.

P.S.: Sorry for the tangent, not picking on you specifically, Max! It just so happens that this came up in one of your threads.
    Actually i have a similiar opinion. I mean the whole map looks great ad i wish i would be capable of producing such creation myself but the forrest looks more like a stack of "moss" rather then woods. it lacks some sort of "bulkiness", distortions, sharpnes - if you know what i mean. But let me repeat myself - it doesn't change the fact that the map as a whole is just beautiful.

Default Re: Ahrendessa - commission map

Looks great! I really like the shape of the island.

But two of your provinces are missing names.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Well, I like the forests. They fit very well to the overall style of the map.

Thanks
    @Irbis : this forest style is always being debated. I remember such discussion on some Sap's threads but I have kind of the same opinion as him : if the thing is fitting the overall style, then for me it's a win (especially if the reder can see it as forests on the map)
    @Xotoxi : Looks like I've uploaded a wrong version. It's fixed, thanks for the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12