Thread: Map Object Tutorial - what would be worthy?

Default Map Object Tutorial - what would be worthy?

Question? One of the last tutorials for my 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide book needs a tutorial for creating a simple Map Object. What should I make a tutorial of that you'd consider a simple map object. I'm thinking something like a table, chair or chest would be too easy and not worthy of a tutorial just for it. On the other hand, many objects like the 3D trebuche pictured below is just too complicated for a short tutorial. So what do you suggest that I create for a tutorial on creating simple map objects?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trebuchet-3d.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	58980
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I would pay for a step by step tutorial that taught me how to create a top down view of a complicated object (like the Trebuchet)...just throwing that out there cause i'd love to start trying to make my own objects.

for a shorter tutorial - maybe a weapon rack or statue
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Is your guide specific to battlemaps, or does it include overland stuff as well? Because what I would most like to see is a how to draw guide for designing custom map icons like towns & mountains. I want to use my own, but they don't come out recognizable.

It includes every possible situation - indoor, outdoor, underground, alien environments. The emphasis for this tutorial is fantasy, vs any other genre - even though every genre will be covered eventually, I'm trying to stay generally fantasy since the bulk of the player base involves fantasy settings. The suggestions offerred so far include: a pile of stones that can be built larger or smaller with the same components, seige machines (probably hinted by the use of a trebuche in the example), torture devices (rack specfically mentioned). I am open to any general use object that can be commonly used in many games. So any one of these suggestions work, but is there a better, more general choice?
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations