Thread: Village - sketchy style

Default Village - sketchy style

The other day I bought The One Ring RPG that I was very impressed of. I especially liked the maps that were very simple and effective in style. Inspired by them I decided to try out making a small village myself in a simple and sketchy way.
    I hope you like the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	431.1 KB 
ID:	59000  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Guild Apprentice

This is a really nice simple style you've got here. I would love to see some labeling on it or maybe a simple "commissioned by" type cartouche in the corner.

I see you've got quite a few really nice looking maps under your belt. Is this more of a style test?
    Last edited by thepinksalmon; 11-13-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yeah, I agree, it looks nice but a little too simple Some spots of color, or some labels, or a title, or some little decoration like an illustrative view of one of the buildings or inhabitants, would make it really good I think.

I like the style, but I do agree that a hint of color would go a long way. Not a whole lot mind you, just a bit of de-saturated color in key areas. But I think you are on to something here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for all the comments. Yes it is a bit simple at the moment, but this was a training/test map. I don't know if I want colour in it, but it could be worth a try. I will definitely continue working on the style, but probably on a new map. I have some more ideas I'd like to try out.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
    My finished maps

My only criticism would be your buildings are aligned to your straight road, instead of both the road and the buildings being aligned to the terrain. Consider that most village roads are constructed after buildings are erected, so roads should be aligned to building locations, not the other way around. Even if a village is built on an existing highway with some buildings aligned to the existing road, most buildings will be erected following the local terrain with smaller roads connecting the highway to erected buildings. Your building's are perpendicular to the road, yet neither the road nor the buildings appear to fit the terrain - it doesn't look right.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

I like it It has a great simple look (which seems to be what you were going for).

However, I also agreed with GP when he said the buildings are placed corresponding to the road rather than the terrain.

-fm
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Thanks for the comments. Yes I agree on the placement of the houses, that is why I'm not continuing this map. It was a test and I liked what I got, so I'm working on a new map that hopefully will take the style to the next level
    My finished maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say it was a successful test. The feel of this is great.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.