Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straylands: Cry of Eskalion

Wip Straylands: Cry of Eskalion

Overview:
    I am developing a video game. A fantasy/RPG one. A very open-ended. Which means it has a main plot/quest, but kind a Elder Scrolls style. So 80% of them gameplay circles not about player finishing the game but about exploration, adventures and traveling. So now i am making a overworld map for S:CoE. This is a huuuuge Work In Progress and many things will change on the way. Because the game is a commercial project i won't be posting the whole map, but it's parts. It's also the first time i am making a fantasy map from scratch.

Whats done:
    -water, oceans
    -land shape
    -forest
    -mountains
    -basic coloring

Whats NOT done:
    -rivers
    -roads
    -swamps [DONE]
    -deserts [DONE]
    -final coloring
    -details

Screenshots:
    14th November 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tdx4qJ2.png 
Views:	425 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	59031

15Th November 2013

Name:	eXzqdYa.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	59032
    Mountains almost finished.

Name:	v3sesRs.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	59037
    And desert/wasteland region.

Name:	RCjszPz.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	59038
    And Swampland

16 November

Name:	q7LbfPL.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	59064
    New world region - Deadlands (undeads, demons, evil monsters - you name - they live here.
    Last edited by Irbis; 11-16-2013 at 11:10 AM.

It looks good, my only qualm is that the swampland looks extremely busy to me, too much so.

Guild Adept

It looks good, although to my taste is over-saturated, even for a video game.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This is really nice! I think the contrast is a bit too high, and the colors a bit too strong, but I guess that's a question of taste Good job on the coastline and the textures. Howeve,r I think the swamp needs some more work to come across as a swamp – look at satellite pictures of swamps, and you'll see that there's a lot more water. Rivers and lakes everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    This is really nice! I think the contrast is a bit too high, and the colors a bit too strong, but I guess that's a question of taste Good job on the coastline and the textures. Howeve,r I think the swamp needs some more work to come across as a swamp – look at satellite pictures of swamps, and you'll see that there's a lot more water. Rivers and lakes everywhere.

Name:	kCadmvl.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	417.9 KB 
ID:	59056

I had problems with swamps. I mean, desert is obvious, forest too, hills are hills, but swamps? And the swamps i've seen thru Google Earth doesn't look like swamps at all lol. So i thought about thing.

As for saturation and contrast - well i like it. The game supposed to have kind a HoM&M3 style. Take a look.

Name:	Heroes-of-Might-Magic-III-screenshot1.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	59057

Its a very unique mix of fairytale and realistic. I like it. And i am fishing for "nostalgy factor".
    Remember guys. The thing you see is not just a map you print and hang on your wall. It'll be interactive and animated. Sea waves, wind, moving trees, rain. For a print i will decrease the saturation - of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    How about now?

Name:	AJoMz2Q.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	59059

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I guess I'm in the minority in that I like the vivid colors and saturation. It's immediately obvious what each terrain type is - everything's clear and works well together. I had my doubts about the swamp, but that latest version is great.

Special shout-out for that Evil Volcanic Land - epic looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority in that I like the vivid colors and saturation. It's immediately obvious what each terrain type is - everything's clear and works well together. I had my doubts about the swamp, but that latest version is great.

Special shout-out for that Evil Volcanic Land - epic looking.
    THANK YOU!!! Actually thats exactly the reason for the high saturation. I want the player to always know what kind of terrain he is encountering (which is very impportand because diffrent terrain types has diffrent interactions. E.g in forest you can forage for herbs, in snowy mountains you losss your stamina faster, etc)

Thank you for the Evil Lands! I wasn't sure will it blend well. I still have to work on it a bit more. To my taste its not enough "dark and evil" hehe. I want the player to know that "You'll asking for troubles going here".

I am working currently on rivers and i must say i am not very happy with the outcome. They look just so artificial =\
    And i don't want to use the ocean texture/blending because thats a totaly diffrent pair of shoes.

Anybody knows a good tutorial for Rivers? (Style of rivers, not shape)

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    THANK YOU!!! Actually thats exactly the reason for the high saturation. I want the player to always know what kind of terrain he is encountering (which is very impportand because diffrent terrain types has diffrent interactions. E.g in forest you can forage for herbs, in snowy mountains you losss your stamina faster, etc)

Thank you for the Evil Lands! I wasn't sure will it blend well. I still have to work on it a bit more. To my taste its not enough "dark and evil" hehe. I want the player to know that "You'll asking for troubles going here".

I am working currently on rivers and i must say i am not very happy with the outcome. They look just so artificial =\
    And i don't want to use the ocean texture/blending because thats a totaly diffrent pair of shoes.

Anybody knows a good tutorial for Rivers? (Style of rivers, not shape)
    Wow, just saw the evil lands actually. They look really great, amazing job on the Volcano.
    As for the rivers, I think it's just a matter of experimenting so in that factor i'm not very helpful.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Great improvement on the swamp! Deadlands are looking awesome too. For the rivers, could you do them the same way as the lakes maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast