Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 15] - Jaiyat Highlands

I like the version with contour lines better, although I'm not sure if I like the fuzziness of the color transitions in tandem with the lines.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The contour lines tend to make my eyes hurt, but to me there is something 'missing' from the one without them. Just not quite sure what it is.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The one with no lines feels like it needs to be blurred to blend everything together but since this map has sort of a graphiti (how do you spell that darn word? forget it, I'll just say tagger) look, then maybe paint splotches or brush strokes instead of blur. Cool concept though, you get a gold star for originality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by octopod View Post
    OK, here's the latest version. One has the contour lines, the other doesn't -- which one do you like better?
    I like without much better. I hope you didn't spent too long making them. To make the contour lines I program my shader to pop in black at zero, white between 0 and 250ft, black from 250 - 500ft etc all the way up and then do an edge detection. I could have just changed the black and white bands to those shades of green and auto-generated that for you. Its all progressing nicely tho - keep it going !

Edit -- if your thinking of going shaded relief then I had better drop you the light map
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-26-2008 at 07:27 AM.

I prefer the contour lines, but think they need to follow the colour bands exactly to work. here the colour changes and the contour lines don't line up.

But- if going with a shaded relief look, don't bother with contour lines.

-Rob A>

Is there going to be any more work done on this map? There's all sorts of information about this area in the wiki, but there's no map. This one seems to have come way too far to be abandoned, so I hope we get a final version!

-IG

Oh crap you guys I'm back. Sorry for ditching suddenly like that.

Now to see if I've got the maps saved anywhere...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	645.3 KB 
ID:	40030
    Last edited by octopod; 11-17-2011 at 03:24 PM.

He lives! Welcome back!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Well, it really does look like I've lost all my layers on those maps. Tonight I'll make one more archaeological expedition into the hard drive I was using in 2007, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

So what should I be working on now? Sub-maps? I'm still pretty happy with what I put down in the wiki in terms of development. This place seems a bit dead at the moment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast