I like to draw my maps on paper. Something about the paper and pencil just makes my imagination work better. Also, the ease of transportation means I pretty much have to use paper to draw my maps, as I don't own a tablet.

On the other hand, I would like to have a vector image as an repository of all the info I have deviced on my maps. Vectors are best for this, compared to raster e.g., that they can contain relatively large amounts information within small files and the zoomability is also a boon.

Now I have great problems trying to figure out how to do projection conversions between a hand drawn map and the vector map. What I would wan't to do is to draw the hand drawn map in a "small region projection", e.g. lambert's conformal conic, and then convert the lines on the hand drawn map to vectors and then the these vectors to a "whole world projection", eg. equal area or mercator.

The problem is that I can't for the life of me find a program that can do this. G.projector is a no go as it can only start with a equal area projection.

Anyone know of a tool that would do this, or do I have to use a Gis for this? I don't have too much free time to play with Gis (3&1 year old kids), so I wouldn't want to have to resort to them without a real necessity.