Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The continent of Vaeriel

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Wip The continent of Vaeriel

Hi guys,
    I'm 1 week away from my move to Italy but I still think about posting a map about a project Im currently working on. Mapping is definitely intoxicating ^^
    I wonder whether I'll add color, we'll see along the way. It's just the beggining anyway

It's a kind of new style for me to try, despite being quite common for you guys.
    Hope you'll like how it starts ^^
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaeriel-wip2.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	59063  

I really like the mountains and terrain style, clean and clear; in fact I have been thinking about a similar style for my own map. How did you get this effect, it looks like they've been hand drawn with a tablet?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's one of my favorite looks/styles of mountains to draw, so you already get a thumbs-up form me.

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Oh god I wish I could draw mountains like that. Beautiful work.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Fantastic mountains The trees look a little big… A matter of taste, but personally I'd shrink them, or make blob forest (or whatever to call them; not individual trees I mean ), which I think could fit better with this style.

Well, looks very promising to me! I Haven't much to add that hasn't already been said. Do you intend to finish it in one week? Or will we see some italian influences ?

Yep, those moutains are superb. Remind me a lot of some of the mountains that Diamond did (and never uses ).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
    I really like the mountains and terrain style, clean and clear; in fact I have been thinking about a similar style for my own map. How did you get this effect, it looks like they've been hand drawn with a tablet?
    They're all hand drawn, indeed. I used to use PS brushes but I now much prefer drawing everything by hand. It makes everything more unique, I guess. I'm currently using Wacom Intuos 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Fantastic mountains The trees look a little big… A matter of taste, but personally I'd shrink them, or make blob forest (or whatever to call them; not individual trees I mean ), which I think could fit better with this style.
    I'm still thinking about that actually. I've done both and each one has its inner added value and faults. We'll see if I can find a solution that fits well with the rest of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well, looks very promising to me! I Haven't much to add that hasn't already been said. Do you intend to finish it in one week? Or will we see some italian influences ?
    Well, I won't be able to finish it up before moving. It's gonna be my December private study, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Yep, those moutains are superb. Remind me a lot of some of the mountains that Diamond did (and never uses ).
    Did he? Humm, must have a look at it then. Do you remember in which topic it was?

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    Did he? Humm, must have a look at it then. Do you remember in which topic it was?
    He did. In this map, for example: http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ld-empire.html
    Or here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...r-version.html
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Gorgeous stuff as usual, though it's very pleasant to see you draw some non-cities maps Thumbs up for that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast