View Poll Results: What is your favorite map ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: CWBP 2 Deciding the map

Carried over from the Genre and setting thread:
    B) Physical Characteristics
    B.1 Basic world shape: Pangea? Craters?
    B.2 Physics/Astrophysics: Is the world round? Does it spin? Have seasons? How many moons? Etc

C) Technical Details
    C.1 Mapping approach: Who can map? How are we going to assign maps?
    C.2 World division: How will we divide the world for mapping?
    B 1. Basic Shape
    No to Pangaea. I want multi-continental with plenty of interesting mapping points and lots of ocean space and plenty of islands (that don't have to appear on the main world map for sake of ease). And also one large continent for fun. This planet has no requirement to be Earth size, I'd be happy to go bigger with the assumption that even if it's not realistic it still has similar characteristics. I'd assume a bigger planet would work well with Azelors double star desire which I'm also happy to go with. Double Stars and double moons. (or two planets in orbiting each other and in a common orbit around the stars? lets make it weirds). I'm happy with anything weird going on in the sky really.

Ghostmans locus points are definitely in my vision of this world.

C 1. Anyone can map if they want?... We don't assign plots, people ask for them and if they aren't taken already they get to use them.
    C 2. This is dealt with extensively in this thread and post 39 is kind of the culmination of my proposal, though nothing has been decided and the matter dropped. I prefer to do the irregular plots because I think it's more conducive to both mapping and world building.
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-27-2014 at 02:20 PM.

In my idea, the second star would be so far that it would have no gravity impact on the planet.

I support Falconius' proposal, and I made a potential plot-map of the world with the highest votes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Proposal plots.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	61534
    It's rough, but you get the idea.

The problem with squares or hexes, is that there are tidbits of land that are left out or in a different space entirely. Sure you can claim more than one spot, but then that's kind of a pain in the ass. If you can just choose a region, with reasonable borders, it might make the mapping process a little easier. That's my opinion though.

I mainly changed the grid where small=>medium islands were to make it easier, also where there were interesting coastal features. As, presumably, you'd want them to be in one map instead of several. I tried not to touch the land, but there are definitely parts that might benefit from irregular plots.

I think part of the issue is the map itself. There's a lot of long, snaky islands, which cover a lot of terrain, but ultimately might be easier mapped as a whole. What do you guys think?

I still think we should go with little hexes and let each mapper pick a number of them for his/her plot, rather than trying to guess in advance the shape and extent of the plots.

Do we have a full hex map of the world in this thread?

There is a new submission thread for map proposals here (discussion should be kept to this thread though), so we don't know what the maps going to be yet. I'm completely uninterested in mapping the entire world top down (mapping as a whole). I just want the basics laid in so that cartographers can go at it as they wish. Mapping as a whole is only interesting on a solo project and can be useful in a directed group project (ie for a game development team with a specific plan).

We could do just what GSPRooster suggested and ''build'' a map instead of trying to make one appear out of nowhere.

I don't really want to do that as a collective, I'd rather just have full maps to choose from for our world map. If one of them happened to be made that way great, otherwise also great.

Edit: We can also do half of a world map so to speak and leave the other half to a later date, but I'm not so much a fan of such a plan.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910